UNM Today

Contact Us
Current Issue
Editorial Policies
Previous Issues
Publication Dates

Subscribe to
email edition



Campus News
Your faculty and staff news since 1965
Special Issue: July 29, 2002
The Gordon Presidency -
1998 - 2002

A week in the life of a president

By Michael Padilla

President Gordon's day planner and a sampling of the numerous invitations he receives each week.

Running New Mexico’s largest public University is no nine to five job. Rewind to the week of Aug. 20, 2001 — the first week of fall semester — and take a glance at William C. Gordon’s schedule.

That week Gordon met various staff, faculty, media, elected officials, potential donors, members of his executive cabinet, attended lunches and served up thousands of scoops of ice cream to the University community. Gordon’s schedule is maintained both by computer and hard copy as backup.

The week began with a 7:30 a.m. off-campus meeting Monday morning with an Albuquerque Business Education Compact (ABEC) management committee. At 9 a.m., he had back-to-back meetings in his office. At noon, Gordon served ice cream as part of Welcome Back Days at the Duck Pond. Soon after, he met with the president of the Commission of Higher Education. Then he participated at a Hispanic Roundtable. After 5:30 p.m., he attended an Athletics’ barbecue on the south side of Lobo Stadium.

On Tuesday he had seven scheduled meetings, which included meeting with the president of the UNM Board of Regents. He also met with the director of the graduation project, director of the Ortiz Center and several UNM vice presidents.

Wednesday would be another long day for the President. His day began before 8 a.m. and would close at 8 p.m. Among his appointments were the Secretary of State and attending an economic forum in uptown Albuquerque.

Thursday saw lots of traffic in and out of his office with several meetings scheduled throughout the day.

Friday may have been his busiest day of the week. Beginning with an 8 a.m. meeting, he then traveled to the Journal Center to meet with the editorial board of the Albuquerque Tribune together with VP of Advancement and the director of Public Affairs. In the afternoon he spoke at an undergraduate research symposium. The day ended with a 6:30 p.m. meeting.

Amid the flurry of appointments Gordon managed to respond to hundreds of e-mail and telephone messages. He also made time to talk to students, faculty and staff.