Staff week features
book swap, ballgame
UNM’s 2nd Annual Celebrating Staff Week runs June 6-11 and boasts a VIP-served pancake breakfast, live concert on the mall, Isotopes baseball game with free food and fireworks and much more, said Karin Retskin, Staff Council administrator and celebration founder.
The council’s Rewards and Recognition Committee took on many of the tasks this year and, with Human Resources, is organizing the annual staff picnic, which will be held at a new venue – Isotopes Stadium. Tickets are $3 and include admission to the Saturday, June 11 game, fireworks, a commemorative baseball, hotdog or nachos, soft drink and popcorn. Only 3,000 tickets are available, on sale now at the UNM Bookstore or HSC and branch ticket outlets.
Most events are scheduled near the lunch hour with the exception of the picnic and a special breakfast – pancakes in the SUB served by UNM vice presidents and other VIPs.
Sponsors include Human Resources, offices of the vice presidents, Aramark Dining Services, New Mexico Educator’s Federal Credit Union, Albuquerque Breakfast Club-Lion’s Club, Student Health Center, UNM healthcare insurance vendors, United Blood Services and UNM Parking Services. Door prizes will be awarded, including a major prize announced at the game.
Schedule of Events:
Monday, June 6
- Pancake breakfast, SUB ballrooms, 7:30-9 a.m.
- UNM Staff as Artists, Masley Gallery, College of Education’s Travelstead Hall, reception from 4:30-6 p.m.; art show runs throughout week during the noon hour. Retiree Association will serve as greeters.
Tuesday, June 7
- UNM Staff Council celebrates 15-year anniversary of serving staff. Regular June meeting preceded by a luncheon for councilors and followed by Jim Davis Outstanding Staff Councilor Award presentation/reception.
Wednesday, June 8
- Book Swap, books from staff for staff. Nearly 5,000 books traded hands last year. New is a call for used eyeglasses to be distributed through area Lion’s Clubs. Books will also be collected for a new library in Ghana, West Africa (see sidebar). Staff who donate receive information about early entry to the swap, open to all staff noon to 2 p.m. in SUB Lobo Rooms A&B.
Thursday, June 9
- Health Focus Day, co~sponsored by Employee Health and Promotion Program and Student Health Center, includes blood drive and freebies from UNM’s healthcare providers. SUB Mall, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m..
Friday, June 10
- Walking tour for staff begins at 10 a.m. at Hodgin Hall, winds up at 11:30 a.m. near Student Health for a concert by “Jasper” featuring American Roots Gumbo music…bring your lunch and save room for dessert.
Saturday, June 11
- Let’s have a ball! First pitch tossed at 7:05 p.m., Isotopes Park, $3 in advance at all UNM ticket outlets.