Soundpack travel is fully funded by the UNM Athletic Department. Soundpack represents the University of New Mexico and the UNM Athletic Department and abides by Athletic Department policies regarding conduct for spirit groups.
Members of Soundpack are expected to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner at all times during travel and adhere to Athletic Department requests. This includes following a strict no alcohol policy at all times for all members of the traveling party, regardless of age. Soundpack members are expected to be punctual for all events and travel, and wear appropriate attire for all official events. Active participation in cheering for the Lobos at games is encouraged while setting a standard for good sportsmanship.
The image of the University of New Mexico is a direct reflection of the image student athletes, spirit squad, and band members demonstrate at official events and at all times while traveling at post-season events. We appreciate your use of good judgment and adherence to these policies.
1. Director: Chad P. Simons, Associate Director of Bands, UNM
Office, 2118, Center for the Fine Arts
Phone: 277 4036, GA Office 277-3011
2. Conductors: Ron Rivero and Matt Harris
3. Course Goals:
To provide music and support at Men's and Women's Basketball games at UNM.
To provide a recreational outlet for music students.
To provide support for University wide events.
To represent the department of Music in a professional and spirited manner.
4. Course Description: Soundpack is comprised of wind instrument, drumset, percussion and electric bass players. It provides music at all home LOBO men's and women's basketball games as well as other university events. The band is open to all UNM students by audition only. Auditions are held in September. Members may take the course for one credit during the spring semester. Attendance policies will be applied to all members of the ensemble regardless of enrollment.
5. Evaluation: Members enrolled in class will be graded on attendance. In order to receive a passing grade (A) students must attend at least 20 games.
Attendance will be taken by the conductors at each game.
Students will receive a schedule and conflict form at their audition. At that time they will complete the conflict form by indicating which games they will not be able to attend.
After receiving conflict forms, the staff will assign personnel to each game. Every effort will be made to accommodate scheduling difficulties and allow players to attend the most popular events.
A minimum of 30 players will be required at each performance of the Soundpack. Everyone is invited to every game, but you are required to attend those too which you are assigned.
If you are unable to make an assigned game, you must find a replacement!! Your replacement must be a member of the Soundpack and must play the same part (ie. a flute player can not substitute for a 1st trumpet player, nor can a 2nd trumpet substitute for a first, etc..)
It is assumed that participating students have made a commitment to the Soundpack. While every effort will be made to extend flexibility in scheduling to all members, unreliable players will be dismissed from the ensemble at the discretion of the director. Responsible management of conflicts will ensure that the Soundpack is able to consistently produce a high quality product throughout the season.
Members are required to attend all rehearsals. Rehearsals will be kept to a minimum. Conflicts with rehearsal will be dealt with on an individual basis and at the discretion of the director.
7. Payment: All members will be paid $20.00 per game up to a maximum of 40 players. The drumset and electric bass players will receive $30.00 per game to compensate for time spent hauling their equipment. All required tax forms must be on file before payment will be processed.
8. Tournament bands will be chosen by the director in consultation with the conductors. Members will be assigned to post season play through a formula based on seniority, instrumentation, and attendance.
9. Uniforms: Soundpack will provide 1 Athletic Band polo shirt to all members. Members will be required to provide black pants, black shoes, and a black belt. Shirts are to be tucked in. The uniform is required at all events. If a member shows up to a game without the uniform they will be unable to participate.