Award Start Up
Our Role in the Post Award Process
- To assist the Principal Investigator (PI) and department in achieving the Statement of Work of the sponsored project, while maintaining sufficient fiscal controls to ensure compliance with:
- Terms and conditions of the award, as well as state, local, and federal regulations
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- University Business Policies and Procedures (UBPP)
- Sponsored Project Services (SPS) receives award and issues notification to PI and department contact via email.
- The transmittal is sent to Contract and Grant Accounting (CGA).
- CGA assigns a grant number and sets up the award in Banner. The Grant Maintenance Form FRAGRNT contains information about the award. Click here to see how to find your grant number in FRAGRNT.
- The fund is set up on the Fund Code Maintenance Form FTMFUND and the Budget Period End date for the fund is entered on the Research Accounting Fund Maintenance form FRMFUND. Click here to see how to find the Budget Period End date for your fund.
- CGA requests the index from Financial Systems Management (FSM).
- When the index number is received from FSM, CGA notifies the PI and department contact via email and attaches the Signature Authorization form.
- The PI completes the Signature Authorization form and returns it to CGA. This will allow expenditures to be charged to the project.
- The current Signature Authorization form for a fund can be viewed in extender from the Banner form FRAGRNT.
- To view the accounting distribution information for an index, access the Banner form Account Index Code Maintenance Form FTMACCI.Click on "Enter Query" (or press F7), enter the index in the Account Index field and click on "Execute Query" (or press F8). The fund that is associated with the index will be displayed below under the Accounting Distribution block in the Fund field. The Grant number will be the fund number, with an “R” replacing the second digit of the fund number and dropping the last digit of the fund number. For example, fund 21230 will convert to Grant number 2R123. The last digit of the fund number usually represents the project year of the grant, with zero being the first year.
- If an index is needed prior to the official award notification, a Request for Approval to Spend Funds Form may be completed and submitted to the SPS office.