The following is a sampling of activities and employment of C&J
graduates. For UNM's current alumni events, click here.
Go to M.A. and Ph.D. graduates
Go to 2010-11 B.A. graduates
Go to 2009-10 B.A. graduates
Go to 2008-09 B.A. graduates
Go to 2007-08 B.A. graduates
Go to 2006-07 B.A. graduates
Go to 2005-06 B.A. graduates
Go to 2004-05 B.A. graduates
Go to 2003-04 B.A. graduates
Go to 2002-03 B.A. graduates
Go to 2001-02 B.A. graduates
Go to 2001 and earlier B.A. graduates
(Add or update entries by submitting this online form.)
- Emily (Anderson) Aragon is the calendars and Web editor at the Weekly Alibi, New Mexico's largest alternative newsweekly.
- Daniel Guglielmo is a Field Engineer/Supervisor for JHKElly, LLC, which is a large mechanical-contracting firm building
the Seattle Alaskan Way Viaduct (the world's largest bore tunnel).
- Isaac Avilucea is a sports reporter at The New Mexican in Santa Fe, N.M.
- Andrea Salazar has entered online journalism. She is cohost at Imprint Podcast and news manager at MuggleNet.
Starting in September 2011, she will be serving a several months-long internship with Talk Radio News Service covering Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.
- Lorenda Belone, the first graduate of the University of New Mexico's
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center Doctoral Fellowship program, has accepted a
tenure-track position in the UNM College of Education's Health Education Program.
- Erica Krause is working as an Assistant Account Executive at
James Korenchen Public Relations
- Daniel Manzano is the director of policy for the New Mexico
Coalition Against Domestic Violence after previously having served as
the director of constituent services for former Lieutenant Governor Diane Denish.
- Devon Z. Armijo is internet broadcasting managing
editor at KOAT.com in Albuquerque.
- Mario Trujillo is an intern in the Washington, D.C., office of
U.S. Rep. Tom Udall of New Mexico.
- Jennifer Olson is a writer at Women's Adventure Magazine in Denver,
- Mario Hidalgo is a Safety Engineer working as a contractor for NASA Goddard
Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD.
- Laura Rasmussen was named in 2011 as the assistant director
of communications for the Big 12 athletic conference. After graduation she
served an internship with the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team.
- Matthew Cherrin is employed at UNM Lobo Energy.
- Jacob Klink teaches English as a second language at Min Da University
in Tongliao, China.
- Tiffini Porter is a sports and general assignments writer and
photographer for the Valencia County News-Bulletin.
- Benny Martinez went to Washington, D.C., interning for Talk Radio
News Service and New Mexico News Network.
- Elena Marin is working in the School of Medicine
- Steven Fernandez is working in the editorial department
at PR Newswire.
- Sarah Kramer was accepted into a publishing program
- Lucy Scott is studying for her M.A. in marketing
at Durham University in Great Britain.
- Sean Olson continued as a reporter with the Albuquerque
- Kimberly Davis is pursuing an MFA in documentary
film at the University of North Texas.
- Xavier Mascareñas is a photojournalist
with the The Daily Times in Farmington, N.M.
- Kimberly Brazell is the assignment editor for
PR Newswire in Albuquerque.
- Maggie Ybarra was awarded a paid internship for
the summer of 2009 at the Albuquerque Journal, and she went from
there to be a reporter at the Roswell (N.M.) Daily Record.
- Stepheny M. Hinkle owns her own PR agency in Albuquerque.
- Christopher J. Sanchez is manager of public affairs
for CSI Aviation Services in Albuquerque.
- Scott Albright enrolled in the China-U.S. Relations master's program
at the University of Hawaii-Hilo.
- Amber Dilley became a reporter at the Glasgow (Ky.) Daily Times.
- Stephanie (Kitts) Martin has started her own business
in Albuquerque, Stephanie Martin Photography. She also is a marketing
assistant at Applied Research Associates, Inc.
- Michelle E. Rasor finished her degree after working
three years on the Albuquerque Journal design desk, then at the
Farmington Daily Times, and finally in the Army. She now is public
relations representative for the 44th Army Band of the New Mexico
- Desireé Polonis was promoted in 2011 to be an
editor at PR Newswire in Albuquerque. She previously was an administrative
assistant and editor at Kinesio Taping.
- Elizabeth Blankenhorn is marketing and communications
coordinator with the Albuquerque Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Lorinda Toledo worked a three-month paid internship
after graduation with the Associated Press in Los Angeles.
- Steve Painter worked as a reporter at the Woodward
(Okla.) News and then enrolled as a graduate student at UNM.
- Tabatha Royball is an event assistant at Kesselman-Jones
Inc., a communications firm specializing in conference and event
planning in Albuquerque.
- Natalie Spencer works in the Sandia Prep marketing
department and is active in the American Advertising Federation.
- Mario L. Hidalgo is working for a safety consultants company called
Banda Group International (BGI), and he hopes to become a full-time
safety inspector in the U.S.
- Darrick Hurst is employed at Sandia Labs doing Web work and writing
for internal publications.
- Monika Dziamka moved to New York City where she is an intern at In Style,
a blogger at mydeco and a freelance writer for fashionedits.com.
- Jeremy Hunt is a reporter at the Harrisonburg (Va.) Daily News-Record.
- Dohnia Dorman has been promoted to account executive at Carroll Strategies, a public relations firm in Albuquerque.
- Mark Kachelmeier is promotions producer at KXXV Channel 25 in Waco, Texas. He won two Addy advertising awards in 2009 for his television promotions at the station.
- Tiffany Rockhold is office manager and day-to-day manager for Patton House Entertainment, which manages music artists out of Nashville, Tenn.
- Brandale N. Mills is working on her master's in
Mass Communication and Media Studies at Howard University in Washington,
D.C., and interning at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
on the media team.
- Christine Chester now works at a university.
- Beth Conway is the homes and Southwest living editor with the
Las Cruces Bulletin.
- Ryan Matuszeski is a professional intern in the UNM Alumni Association
- Marcos Roybal is attending Anderson Schools of Business to pursue
an MBA degree.
- Jo Fanelli has joined the writing staff for The Horseman's Voice.
- Caleb Fort is the small towns/environmental reporter
at the Morning News, a daily newspaper in northwest Arkansas.
- Andrea Reich started as a page designer on the copy desk
of the Albuquerque Journal, and she now is in the editorial department at PR Newswire in Albuquerque.
- Breanna Cox is a producer for KOB-TV in Albuquerque.
- James Snyder is the public information officer for Central Consolidated Schools in Shiprock, Ariz. He is a former reporter with the Farmington Daily Times, the Albuquerque Journal and the Navajo Times.
- Julie Medina works in public relations
with the Parents for Behaviorally Different Children.
- Todd A. Dukart works at WPRI-TV/WNAC-TV in Providence, Rhode Island as a New Media Manager.
- William L. Kie is now an associate producer with the Native America Calling radio network based in Albuquerque. Kie had previously worked as a reporter and columnist for
the Cibola County Beacon in Grants, N.M., and then served as director of the Kukadze'eta Towncrier, a newspaper serving Laguna Pueblo.
- Amanda K. Foor is an account executive with The Garrity Group
Public Relations, Albuquerque, and was recognized as one of New Mexico Business Weekly's 40 Under Forty nominees for 2009.
- Damon Scott is a writer for New Mexico Business Weekly.
- Talia O. (Sierra) Moretti is a communication representative
Presbyterian in the Communication and Marketing Department at Presbyterian
- Jose A. Rios is a graduate student at Emerson College
pursuing a M.A. in Integrated Marketing Communication. He
is also interning with the Department of Veteran Affairs,
Office of Health Communications in Washington, D.C.
- Aaron Martinez is research editor for Go magazine
in the editorial office of Outside magazine in Santa Fe.
- Alli Patterson is a copy editor at The Albuquerque
- Mark Moss is a graduate student in the library science program
at the University of Illinois-Urbana and a chemistry library graduate
- Rivkela Brodsky is a business reporter at the Albuquerque
- Amanda Stevens began as a reporter at the Albuquerque
Journal upon graduation and continues as a freelance reporter.
- Renee T. Zuniga is marketing coordinator for the
New Mexico Museum of Natural History Foundation.
- Zachary Fowler works as a promotions assistant
and on-site producer for Citadel Broadcasting. He also is a session
- Jessica A. Del Curto is the managing editor of
Extra Bilingual Newspaper in Chicago.
- Krystal Zaragoza is pursuing a master's degree
in communication at the University of New Mexico.
- Sheila Rupp worked after graduation on the Kirkland Air Force
Base newspaper, Nucleus. She now is a freelance editor and writer based in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Benson Hendrix is a public relations specialist
with the University of New Mexico.
- Maya Oliver is an account executive with Rick
Johnson & Company in Albuquerque.
- Kristie M. Boudwin is pursuing an M.B.A. degree
at the Anderson Schools of Management at UNM.
- Jessica Infantino is a public relations account
executive at Rick Johnson & Company in Albuquerque and also
enrolled in the M.B.A. program at Anderson Schools of Management
- Denise Sena is the Communications Senior Manager for NAIOP located in Herndon, Va. She had previously worked with Adayana, an international consultancy in employee training, the
National Propane Gas Association and the American Red Cross.
- Carlos Guillen is assistant resident director, Residential Living
Office, Division of Student Life, at Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Tom Sena worked for a few years for KOB radio and now is a public relations specialist in Albuquerque.
- James T. Burt is a graduate intern in international
procurement at Sandia National Labs. He is applying to law school
at Texas Tech and hoping to start August 2009.
- Heidi Brown is on-air fundraising manager for KNME-TV in Albuquerque.
- Oscar Solis is director of media and public relations for the
Special Olympics of New Mexico.
- Sara Davis works in the newsroom at KRQE-TV in
- Justin Brey is living and working as an English
teacher in Phuket, Thailand.
- Thomas A. Noel is a reporter for KIDK-TV in Idaho
- Kelly-Renae Edwards is a legislative assistant
for PNM in Washington, D.C.
- Aaron Salas is a student adviser for the Dean
of Students at the University of New Mexico and also a graduate
student at UNM.
- Amy Dalness is a staff writer with Alibi, an alternative
weekly in Albuquerque.
- Felicia Fonseca is a reporter for The Associated
- Chanel M. (DesJardins) Reed is an Account Exective at Heel Inc. in Albuquerque.
- Jamin Ragle is systems administrator for University
Libraries at the University of New Mexico.
- Christopher Dibble is a broadcast marketing specialist with Citadel
Broadcasting in Albuquerque.
- Elizabeth Romero is a reporter for the Santa Fe New Mexican.
- Rita Stange is a writer for ConnectPress, an online
publication in Santa Fe.
- Derrick Samaras is a post-production video editor
- Cynthia Lewis is a free-lance writer in San Diego
and her articles have been published in several magazines.
- Blaire Burns is manager of On-Air Production for
NBC Universal in New York City.
- Elizabeth Schomberg works in the promotions department
of Presbyterian Hospital, Albuquerque.
- Nevada Casey is traffic coordinator for World
Avenue Online Marketing in Florida.
- Angela Chavez worked for the Kerry/Edwards campaign
out of Washington, D.C., and later as a legislative assistant for
New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and a regional field director with
the Democratic National Committee. She enrolled in the UNM Law School
in the fall of 2007.
- LeAnn Holt was hired upon graduation as a reporter
for the Albuquerque Journal. She worked as a community relations and
marketing officer for the UNM Cancer Treatment and Research Center, and now she is communications manager for the New Mexico Mortgage Finance Authority.
- Jeff Proctor is a reporter for the Albuquerque
- Dezaree Vega is an advertising account executive
with Joan Griffin & Associates, Albuquerque.
- Susan Yara won the 2004 title of Miss New Mexico
and competed in the Miss America Pageant. She is now an on-line
reporter for Forbes.com in New York City.
- Yasmin Khan's first job was as a reporter for
the Santa Fe New Mexican, and she then lived for two years in Bolivia
under a journalism fellowship. In 2007 she started a fellowship
in alternative media at Northwestern University.
- Penne Usher is a reporter for the Auburn (Calif.)
- Deirdre Gallegos is on a fellowship to the National
Association of Student Personnel Managers.
- Jeffrey P. Gomez is a real estate agent with 1st
USA Realty Professionals.
- Scott R. Hamilton is an advertising account representative
for a radio station at Kansas City, Mo.
- Ava R. Kovacs is an account representative for
KASA Fox 2 TV in Albuquerque.
- Justin B. Schroer is an account representative
for Bulldog Sports Properties.
- Johnyne Barraclough is an account representative
with CitiCard in Albuquerque.
- John A. Bowersmith is a professional photograper
- William J. Brey is an English teacher at Phuket
High School in Thailand.
- Justin Johnson is general manager for Albuquerque
- Danielle Martinez is an account executive with
Kilmer & Kilmer.
- Jessica Molzen is an account executive with Rick
Johnson & Co. in Albuquerque.
- Stuart Overbey is a film producer and writer with
Available Media Inc. of Albuquerque.
- Lesley Dickson is an assistant account executive
with Rick Johnson & Co. in Albuquerque.
- Karl Linzmeyer became a sales representative with
Willamette Week, an Oregon newspaper. He then became assistant director of admissions for the Art Institute of Portland, which is in Oregon.
- Breeze Schilkey is an account executive with Mckee
Wallwork in Cleveland.
- Joseph Garcia is a U.S. Army officer deployed
in 2010-2011 in Iraq.
- Karen Francis is the the judicial liaison officer for the Navajo
Nation Judicial Branch. She previously worked as public information
officer for the Navajo Nation Council's Office of the Speaker and
as a reporter for the Gallup Independent. She also is a 2009 Chips
Quinn Scholar and is working toward her M.A. in public administration
- Sabrina Ortega is a senior business procedures analyst with
Presbyterian Health Plan.
- Cayden McFarland is a sports anchor/reporter for KJRH-TV in
Tulsa, Okla. Before that he was the sports director at
KRBC-TV in Abilene, Texas.
- Mercedes Kelsey received an M.S. in health education from Utah
State University and became an academic adviser and adjunct faculty
member at Utah Valley State College. She now is studying for a Ph.D.
in communication at UNM.
- Kristen Ferris works at UNM Press.
- Maeghan Bruce is an associate broker with Allstar
Realty in Rio Rancho, N.M.
- Jolene Ortiz works for the Arizona Republic newspaper and is the
digital media advertising account executive for azcentral.com and
- Regina Ruiz is a reporter at KTNV-TV in Las Vegas,
Nev., after being a reporter at KEYT-TV in Santa Barbara, Calif.
A 2003 graduate of UNM, she received her M.A. in broadcast journalism
in 2004 from Syracuse University.
- Ignacio Gallegos went on to graduate from the
UNM Law School and is an attorney with an Albuquerque law firm.
- Todd Burns is a marketing assistant with SouthwestRe
- Alana Lynn resigned from the staff of ABC's Good
Morning America show to move to Big I 107 radio in Albuquerque with
her own Fox sports show. Now she is a morning co-host on 98.7 KUPL
radio in Portland, Ore.
- Marne Petersen is the campaign coordinator for
Team in Training with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in Albuquerque.
- Iliana Limón was a reporter at The Albuquerque Tribune
and now is a sportswriter with The Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel.
- Andrew T. Webb worked as a business reporter at the New Mexico Business Weekly and Albuquerque Journal for about seven years. He is now a graduate student in the Community and Regional Planning program at UNM.
- After receiving his B.A. in communication, Noah
Trujillo went on and received an M.A. in sport administration from
UNM and worked in sports marketing at the Albuquerque Convention
and Visitors Bureau. He now works at the New Mexico Sports Authority.
- Elizabeth (De Jesus) D'Angelo was commissioned
as a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force. She served as a public affairs
officer at Ellsworth AFB, where she worked for the base magazine,
and now is at Randolph AFB.
- Tamara Sanchez is a teacher at Ernie Pyle Middle
School in Albuquerque.
- Beth Hahn is a reporter for the Mountain View
- Rick Maese was a reporter for The Albuquerque
Tribune and the Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel, and a sports columnist
with the Baltimore (Md.) Sun. He now is a sportswriter for The Washington Post.
- Gini Jones received her M.A. in communication
from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point and went on as a
Ph.D. student at the University of Kansas.
- Joseph G. Velasco, who received his B.A. from
UNM in communication, now is a visiting instructor of communication
at Sul Ross State University in Texas.
- Alarie C. Ray is an executive producer of KOB-TV
- Tracy L. (Cooley) Krughoff handles media relations
for events and conferences for the Biotechnology Industry Organization.
- Clara (Cano) Garcia, B.A. 1997 journalism, is the editor of the Valencia County News-Bulletin. After graduating from C&J in '97, she became a reporter at the paper and was promoted to editor in 2009.
- Laura (Jett) Krantz, B.A. 1998 journalism, is the department chair of journalism and student publications at Tyler (Texas) Junior College. She also owns Krantz PR, a public relations consulting firm.
- Leslie E. Venzuela is director of marketing for the Anderson School of Management after working nearly 12 years as a broadcast journalist, starting at KOAT-TV, before entering a new career in public relations and marketing.
and Ph.D. graduates
- Bernadette Lee (B.A. 1995 journalism) is now a clinical research nurse at UNM. She earned her MSN
- Jonathan Amsbary (B.A. 1978 communication) is an Associate Professor of Communication Studies, UAB.
- Mary (Grant) Davis (B.A. 1977 journalism) has retired after 11 years as
associate editor for a trade magazine based in Houston, Texas. She now teaches English
part time at Lone Star College in Houston.
- Walter Ratliff (B.A. 1993 journalism) marked 10 years at
the Associated Press in 2011. He currently works at AP's Washington,
DC bureau as an editor with the national religion beat team,
and as a content manager for the video newsroom. After UNM, he
completed an M.A. at Wheaton College in Communications, and a master's
degree in Islam & Muslim-Christian Relations from Georgetown University.
- Kathryn (McKenna) Schroeder (B.A. 1979 journalism) has been editor
since 2008 of the New Mexico Business Weekly. She started there
as a freelance writer in 2000. She also is a member of the UNM Alumni
Association board of directors.
- John Shelton (B.A. 1982 communication) is co-owner of MarketSpace
Financial Inc. in Albuquerque.
- Tami (Toops) Moore (B.A. 1995 communication) is public affairs
director for the National Nuclear Security Administration's Sandia
site office in Albuquerque.
Administration's Sandia Site Office in Albuquerque
- Carol Anne Byrnes (1993), the former "Grammar Goddess"
of the Daily Lobo, teaches developmental English at Central New
Mexico Community College (CNM).
- Wende (Schwingendorf) O'Brien (1994) is marketing director of
Frost Mortgage Banking Group.
- Monica Summers (1993) worked for the Associated Press for six
years, four years of which she worked as an assistant photo editor
and two years as National Photo Editor. She also worked as a reporter
for Reuters News Service as a retail/Internet correspondent
on the U.S Equities Desk.
- Pete T. Kendall (1970) is a feature writer and columnist at the
Hood County News, Granbury, Texas.
- Harry Moskos (1958) has retired as editorial page editor at the
Albuquerque Journal. His long career has included being editor of
the Nashville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel.
- Kristin (Van Veen) Hincke (1990) is the assistant to a lobbyist
based in Washington, D.C., does grant work, and is a freelance writer.
- Lisa J. Davis owns her own marketing and public relations business,
Jey & Associates. She also is a freelance writer.
- Betty (Kessler) Robinson (1941) is retired and loves reading screenplays
or update entries by
emailing the C&J Dept.
or by submitting this on-line form.)
Soumia Bardhan, '11 Ph.D., is an assistant professor in the Department
of Communication Studies at St. Cloud State University, MN. She was also
postdoctoral research scholar at UNM's Division of Equity & Inclusion until summer of 2011.
A. Milan,'93 M.A., is the principal for J.A. Milan and Associates
Frank G. Perez, '01 Ph.D., is chair of the Department of Communication
at the University of Texas at El Paso. In addition, he and a colleague,
Carlos Ortega, are writing a book that explores the use of "fantasy
heritage" as a hegemonic device to promote tourism in far West
Matt Petrunia, '07 Ph.D., is an assistant professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City.
Jeffery C. Peterson, '06 Ph.D., is an assistant professor
at the ER Murrow College of Communication at Washington State University,
teaching intercultural communication, persuasion, and diffusion of
Tatjana K. Rosev, '08 M.A., works for communications
office at Los Alamos National Laboratory specializing in liaison relations
with tribal communities.
Jessica McVicker, '04 M.A., is corporate training
manager for Butterball LLC in Raleigh, N.C.
Jing Yin, '00 M.A., is an assistant professor at
the University of Hawaii-Hilo. She earned her Ph.D. in Mass Communications from the Pennsylvania State University in 2003. She is the co-editor of The Global Intercultural Communication Reader (Routledge, 2008).
Marcella LeFever, '05 Ph.D., is teaching at California
State University - Stanislaus, and spends five months of the year
at her home in British Columbia.
Shaheed N. Muhammad, '98 Ph.D., is associate professor
and department lead at the Media and Communication Program, American
University of Kuwait in Salmiya, Kuwait.
Tara (Trujillo) Oswald, '03 M.A., is teaching Advanced
Placement English and coaching track at Fossil Ridge High School in
Fort Collins, Colo. She was married in November 2006.
Christine R. (Tatreau) Walski, '04 M.A., is the training
supervisor for the Vest Division of Hill-Rom, a manufacturer of medical
devices. She oversees six employees and 500 independent contractors.
Yuling Yang, '03 M.A., is executive editor of the
editing department of Shanghai Media Group's TV News Center in Shanghai,
Amie Kinkaid, '04 Ph.D., is an assistant professor
at Eureka College in Illinois.
Kim McCormick, '04 Ph.D., is an assistant professor
Yoshitaka Miike, '04 Ph.D., is an associate professor
at the University of Hawaii-Hilo. He received a 2004 Distinguished
Scholarship Award from the International and Intercultural Communication
Division of the National Communication Association for the 2003 Outstanding
Article of the Year. He is the co-editor of The Global Intercultural
Communication Reader (Routledge, 2008).
Christina Sanchez, '04 Ph.D., is director of international
student services at the University of San Francisco.
Avinash Thombre, '04 Ph.D., is an assistant professor
at Arkansas State University.
Soo-Jin Yoon, '99 M.A., won a national award for
most Outstanding Thesis of the year (1999).
Kathryn Sorrells, '99 PhD, now teaching at
Cal State–Northridge, won the Cheris Kramarae Dissertation Award,
given each year by the Organization for the Study of Communication,
Language and Gender. It comes with a $500 monetary award.