All faculty are encouraged to participate in the Commencement ceremony. As members of the "faculty honor processional", they play a vital role in this most significant event for the students whom they have helped to educate and nurture at the University of New Mexico.
Saturday, May 11 at 9:00 a.m., University Arena ("The Pit")
Faculty, VIP, and Staff who plan to participate in one or more graduation ceremonies must complete the online signup form. The regalia order deadline is: Friday, March 22, 2013.
After the deadline, faculty may still sign-up and will be added to the extra regalia waiting list.
Commencement Ceremony Instructions
- There will not be a rehearsal.
- All ceremony participants must wear academic regalia.
- Faculty who have ordered academic regalia can pick up their regalia at the Bookstore beginning
Wednesday, May 8, 2013.
- Regalia must be returned to the Bookstore by
no later than Tuesday, May 14.
Failure to adhere to this deadline will result in your department being charged the replacement cost.
- Faculty participating in the University Commencement ceremony are requested to arrive at University Arena ("The Pit") no later than 8:00 a.m.
Doors will open at 7:30 a.m.
Upon arrival please enter through the northeast entrance of the arena, and proceed up the stairs to the 2nd floor, section C45. Non-hooding faculty will line-up for the processional on the 2nd floor behind the appropriate sign as directed by the Marshals. Faculty who will be hooding students will line up with their graduate student in the doctoral processional line.
Faculty Honor Processional
- Non-hooding faculty will lead the academic procession into the arena promptly at the ceremony start time.
- As directed by the marshals, faculty will process toward the stage in pairs.
- Once faculty lines are in place on the floor of the arena, the faculty will turn and face each other staying in place while the students process through.
- Faculty will be seated as instructed by the marshals. (Men remove caps during the National Anthem).
- The marshals will direct you to the proper seats after the students have been seated.
For faculty who will be hooding students at the Commencement Ceremony:
- Faculty hooders will process into the arena and be seated alongside the doctoral candidates.
- Degree candidates will be asked to rise as a group.
- The President confers the degrees on the group.
- The Master of Ceremonies will then say "as directed by the marshals, will our doctoral candidates please come forward to be hooded by their faculty mentors..."
- As directed by the marshals, degree candidates and their faculty mentor ("hooder") will then move to the aisle on their right and proceed to the platform.
- At the foot of the platform, each candidate will present the name card to the master of ceremonies.
- The name of the candidate and their hooder will then be read.
- The candidate will proceed, giving the hood to the marshal on the stage.
- The hooder will proceed and stand to the right of the marshal on the stage facing the audience.
- As the candidate reaches the hooder, she/he stops and faces the audience to be hooded.
- The marshal on stage will hand the hood to the faculty hooder who then hoods the candidate.
- Sample video of a doctoral hooding (windows media player).
- Marshals will direct faculty out of the arena.