Guidelines for Preparation of Direct Pay Approval Form
The following provides guidelines to be followed to ensure DPA (Direct Pay Approval) forms and supporting documentation are complete, legible and scan-ready upon receipt at accounting offices and Accounts Payable.
Direct Pay Approval (DPA) Form
- Back up or supporting documentation must be stapled on the top left hand corner, not paper clipped. This should be the only staple unless original documents required to be mailed with the check are attached.
- DPA Forms must be printed on 8 ½” x 11” paper, in portrait view rather than landscape view.
- If corrections need to be made after the DPA is printed and before initially submitting to central accounting for approval, you must self-disapprove the DPI (in FOADOCU), make changes, re-complete and re-print.
- Original documents required to be mailed with the check such as personal checks, notarized legal documents, and self addressed envelopes must be attached at the back of the DPA packet and stapled on the left side.
- Stickies, ‘sign here’ tags or post-it notes of any kind must be removed from all of the supporting documentation.
- All date stamps must be placed on the front side of the DPA Form.
- When there is a need to pick up a check from Accounts Payable rather than having the check mailed, prior approval must be received from Accounts Payable. Please e-mail both Patrick Burwinkle (mailto:email@example.com) and Tammarra Lee (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) with the reason why the check needs to be picked up. Include the Payee name, DPI or PO number, and name and phone number of who needs to be contacted when the check is ready. A/P will approve or deny the request by replying to the e-mail. If the request meets the criteria for approval, the contact person will be called when the check is available for pick up.
- In addition to obtaining A/P's approval, select “Hold check for pick up” from the Special Handling drop-down box on FZADPEZ.
- All receipts smaller than 8 ½ x 11” (or standard size paper), must be taped, not stapled, on all four sides to a blank piece of white paper. Do not use colored paper.
- Only attach receipts to one side of page.
- Only use clear tape to adhere your receipts to 8 ½” x 11” white paper in portrait view.
- When using recycled paper, place a large ‘X’ on the side that is not to be scanned.
- Obtain all necessary signatures. If the correct Payment Type is selected when completing the DPEZ, all necessary signature lines will appear on the DPA form. Contact your Central Accounting office if you’re unsure or which Payment Type to select.
- Do not attach the following as supporting documentation to the DPA unless necessary to support the payment:
- baggage claims
- policies (UNM per diem rates are ok)
- travel voucher forms that were used prior to July 1, 2004
- mapquest (only if not utilizing standard mileage rates)
- boarding passes (attach only if not submitting original airline receipts)
- entire conference programs
- time sheets (department internal Time Reports, these are Time Reports not logs)
- registration guidelines
- conference speeches
- bank statements (black out account numbers)
- credit card statements (black out account numbers)
- information which violates patient (HIPAA) regulations, this information must be maintained in respective departments
- Social Security number for employees and students should be blacked out
For a printable version click here.