The University Business Policies and Procedures Manual, policy # 2170 “Honorarium Payments” allows for UNM departments to make payments as described in the policy, via the Direct Pay process (via form FZADPEZ in Banner).
Unrestricted Accounting processing requirements are as follows:
- Payment MUST be to an INDIVIDUAL person, not to a company, organization, association, etc.;
- Payment MAY NOT be made to a UNM employee;
- Payment must be to a person of special achievement or renown
- While this is somewhat subjective, some indication MUST be provided as to how this status fits the person being paid
- Please indicate “who” the person is (other than just a name), and some brief information about their qualifications/background
- Honorarium check should be requested ahead of the event, and presented to the individual at the time of the event
- Requests made after the fact may imply that the payment is in fact for services rendered, which is not appropriate for an honorarium
- While there is no standard backup documentation required, departments should attach any information they have that justifies that the payment is appropriate as an honorarium
Payments that cannot be properly documented to show that an honorarium payment is appropriate, per the requirements of policy, should be processed via a Purchase Requisition.