Effective March 1, 2010, employee travel expenses (airfare, lodging, vehicle rental and ground transportation) may be purchased via P-card. To add this feature, existing P-card holders must complete the “P-card for Travel” online course and assessment test, and subsequently submit a P-card Modification Form. Please note that meal expenses MAY NOT be paid for with P-card. See the Purchasing Department website for more information.
In conjunction with this expansion of P-card usage, the issuance of Travel Advances will be limited.
Listed below are EXAMPLES of situations in which the issuance of a travel advance MAY be approved, as well as examples of when travel advances generally will not be approved. Inclusion in this list does not guarantee that a travel advance will be approved in every instance; this is merely intended as a guideline. Contact the appropriate Financial Services accounting office if there is a question about whether a travel advance will be approved.
Requests for Travel Advances MAY be approved in these instances:
- Meal expenses for travel by students (individual or group)
- Departments that do not have and cannot obtain a p-card
- Travel to remote areas where p-card usage is not practical
Travel Advances will generally NOT be approved for:
- Travel expenses prepaid out of personal funds (use p-card instead)
- Lodging (use p-card, or personal funds with subsequent reimbursement)
- Rental car (use p-card, or personal funds with subsequent reimbursement)
- Airline tickets (use p-card, or personal funds with subsequent reimbursement)
- Conference fees (use p-card, or personal funds with subsequent reimbursement)
- Other miscellaneous estimated expenses (use personal funds with subsequent reimbursement)
Click here for an overview of the process for submitting the Travel Advance DPEZ.
Upon returning from a trip, travelers should submit ONE (1) Travel DPEZ to report ALL expenses of the trip (those paid via p-card, as well as any paid from personal funds) as soon as possible, but no later than twenty (20) business days after completion of the travel, as stated in policy. If this procedure is followed, travelers will receive timely reimbursement for any personal funds expended, which should allow for timely payment of credit card bills, etc. Care should be taken to ensure that all appropriate backup is attached, correct per diem rates are used, etc., in order to prevent delays in processing.