Checklist for Travelers
Receiving a prompt travel reimbursement is dependent on the traveler providing complete, accurate documentation of the trip, in a timely fashion. The following checklist will assist the traveler in knowing what information to collect and provide. Click here for a printable version.
Original receipts for all allowable expenditures being claimed for reimbursement must be provided:
- Airline ticket receipt and itinerary (printout of on-line receipt is allowable if form of payment is indicated).
- It is preferable that airline tickets are paid for via P-card.
- Premium seating, early boarding and other similar charges are not allowable
- Use care to ensure these options are not selected
- If not flying direct to business destination, provide 3 lowest quotes for business travel dates from a site such as Expedia or Travelocity to document what the cost of a direct flight would have been
- Allowable amount is lower of actual flight, or lowest quote
- Itemized hotel receipt, indicating payment in full has been made. This should reflect a “single-room rate”. Include explanations for any other occupants of the room.
- It is preferable that hotel charges are paid for via P-card
- Reimbursement allowed for Room and Tax charges ONLY
- Unallowable item examples:
- Room service (claim via per diem)
- In-room movies
- Bar charges
- Internet charges allowable with documented business need
- Receipts for ground transportation and/or parking, tolls, etc.
- Rental car receipt and related fuel receipts. Explanation should be included if UNM contracted vendors are not being used.
- It is preferable that rental car charges are paid for via P-card
- DO NOT purchase supplemental insurance coverage; not allowable
- DO NOT pre-pay for fuel with rental company; fill vehicle before returning it
- GPS only allowable with documentation of PRE-APPROVAL by department head
- Conference/event registration fee receipt.
- It is preferable that registration fees are paid for via P-card
- If paid for out-of-pocket, method of personal payment should be noted.
- Include a copy of the conference brochure so that included meals can be verified, etc.
- Any other necessary business expenses incurred during trip. Fully explain the business need for these expenses.
- When traveling out of state, if driving due to personal preference, provide documentation of what cost to fly would have been
- 3 lowest airfare quotes for business travel dates from a site such as Expedia or Travelocity
- Provide quotes for cost of appropriate ground transportation
- Allowable amount is lower of mileage or total cost of air travel
- If nature of trip required travel by vehicle, provide adequate explanation
- If a personal vehicle was used on the trip, keep track of beginning and ending odometer readings.
- Miles claimed may not include personal travel or commuting.
- Note that if travel is within New Mexico, the UNM mileage chart should be used.
- Any mileage claimed in excess of the standard mileage must be explained.
Please refer to UNM Travel Policy 4030 for complete information. Click here for a printable version.