CE 547 Geographic Information Systems in Water Resources Engineering
New Mexico Pan Evaporation Data
To complete this assignment I added to ArcMap the New Mexico shape file that included the counties, the shape file for the pan evaporation data for the state, and a shapefile with the outlines of the states. I projected that layer to NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13N and added a physical base map. I kept those in one data frame. I changed the outline of the counties to 50% gray so they would be different from the state outlines. In the properties for the pan evaporation layer I changed the symbols and labels. I changed the symbology for the pan evaporation to water drops and categorized the symbology with graduated symbols at 10-inch intervals. I formatted the labels for the evaporation symbol categories so they only displayed one decimal point. I made the labels for the layer the station name and changed the label position so the top center had priority for label position.
In the attribute table for the pan evaporation data I summarized the data with an average for every month and saved that as a new table. I then used that table to create a graph of the average monthly evaporation across all stations in the state by adding each field as a new series. I added that graph to the layout.
I inserted a new data frame and added a shapefile of the states. For that layer I projected it in the same projection as the New Mexico map. I made that data frame the extent indicator for the New Mexico map. I changed the background of that data frame to gray in the frame tab.
With these three elements in the layout I added a title and for the pan evaporation map a legend, north arrow, and scale bar.
The basemap provided with ArcMap seems to be too cumbersome. It works in the data view, but in the layout view ArcMap crashed about every 30 seconds. By saving every 10 seconds I was finally able to get the layout done and saved, but now I cannot open that ArcMap file any more because the software crashes while trying to open. The other problems I had were with the bar graph. I was unable to adjust the size of the fonts for the title and the axis labels and I could not change the labels for the x-axis. I think this was because each bar is an individual series. The alternative was to not label the x-axis, and I decided having months labeled 0-11 was better than nothing. It would be nice to make a bar graph that uses multiple attribute fields for one series.