Job Timberley and Rachel Melbourne
by Dr. William M. Litchman, C.G., Member #1647
1620 Los Alamos, SW
Albuquerque, NM 87104-1122
[Part 1 of 5] Submitted to The Newfoundland Ancestor, 4 Jun 1999, on disc, accepted for the Fall 1999 issue. Published in The Newfoundland Ancestor, Fall, 1999, Vol 15 #3, pp 130-136.
Much of the development of family history along the south west coast of Newfoundland depends on the migration of families from the eastern part of Newfoundland along the coast toward the west. Many people have noted this general trend in family migration. And since much of this migration took place during the early years of settlement, there are certain times when few records show the movement of early families along the coast. Thus, it is difficult to trace the migration pathway for some early families, not because they didn’t do what later families did, but because they did it early enough that the church was not established sufficiently to document their passing.
The Timberley family of Burgeo and environs is a case in point. Job Timberley showed up in the records of the Burgeo Parish of the Church of England in the 1840s, resident at King’s Harbour, Bay de Lieu, and Burgeo. He had several children, many of whom appear in the Church records in either christenings or marriages (or both). The marriage of Job and Rachel is not documented there indicating that he might have been married when he arrived. Further, since Joseph H. Small states that Rachel was the daughter of “old grandmother Melbourne,” not only is her surname probably Melbourne, but Job’s migration to Burgeo was probably accompanied by others of his extended neighbours and family. Thus, Job’s “appearance out of nothing” is only in accord with what we have come to believe about the settling of this part of Newfoundland.
Over the course of time, the Timberley family grew and dispersed as other families in this region have done. The available records are not complete and so this is a work still in progress. The structure of the first three generations of this family is as follows:
1. Job1 Timberley, born about 1800 in England; buried 22 Jan 1885 in Burgeo. He married Rachel Melbourne, buried 15 Dec 1863 in Lower Burgeo.
Children of Job Timberley and Rachel Melbourne are as follows:
+ 2 i Ann2 Timberley, born 2 Jul 1842 in Bay de Lieu; christened 2 Oct 1842 in Bay de Lieu; died 2 Dec 1910 in Grey River; buried 5 Dec 1910 in Grey River. She married Thomas Lushman.
+ 3 ii Jane2 Timberley, born Oct 1845 in Bay de Lieu; died after 1921 in Burgeo. She married (1) George Strickland. She married (2) (---) Toms; and (3) (---) O'Brien.
+ 4 iii Sarah2 Timberley, born 6 Mar 1846 in Bay D'Leau; christened 11 Apr 1846 in Bay D'Leau. She married William Stickland.
+ 5 iv James2 Timberley, born about 1848; buried 30 Nov 1890 in Burgeo. He married Caroline Clark.
+ 6 v George2 Timberley. He married Jane (---).
7 vi Charlotte2 Timberley, christened 16 Dec 1855 in King's Harbour.
8 vii Edward2 Timberley, christened 5 Sep 1858 in King's Harbour.
2. Ann2 Timberley (Job1), born 2 Jul 1842 in Bay de Lieu; christened 2 Oct 1842 in Bay de Lieu; died 2 Dec 1910 in Grey River; buried 5 Dec 1910 in Grey River. She married on 18 Jul 1867 in Lower Burgeo Thomas Lushman as his second wife, born about 1829 in New Harbour. He was living at or near Burgeo in 1848 and at Fox Island in 1864. He died after 1884 but before 1921, son of Thomas Lushman and Susannah McDonald.
Child of Ann Timberley and Thomas Lushman is as follows:
9 i (---)3 Lushman, born aft 1867 in Little River.
3. Jane2 Timberley (Job1), born Oct 1845 in Bay de Lieu; died aft 1921 in Burgeo. She married (1) on 6 Oct 1863 in Lower Burgeo George Strickland, born about 1840; buried 18 Aug 1870 in Bay de Lieu. She married (2) (---) Toms. She married (3) (---) O'Brien.
Children of Jane Timberley and George Strickland are as follows:
10 i Job3 Strickland, died 1900, unmarried, in Burgeo.
11 ii (---)3 Strickland.
4. Sarah2 Timberley (Job1), born 6 Mar 1846 in Bay de Lieu; christened 11 Apr 1846 in Bay de Lieu. She married on 28 Aug 1862 in Burgeo William Stickland, born Jun 1825 in Rencontre West; died about 1921.
Children of Sarah Timberley and William Stickland are as follows:
12 i Rachel3 Stickland, born Mar 1863 in West Point; died aft 1921. She married Ephraim Matthews, died before 1921.
13 ii Edward3 Stickland.
14 iii James3 Stickland. He married Mabel Crant, daughter of John Crant.
15 iv John3 Stickland. He married Sarah Kinslow.
16 v Joseph3 Stickland, died, unmarried, about 1910.
+ 17 vi Hannah3 Stickland, born Apr 1876 in Bay de Lieu; died aft 1921. She married George Sutton.
18 vii Charlotte3 Stickland, born 12 Sep 1883 in Bay de Lieu; christened 27 Oct 1883 in Bay de Lieu.
19 viii Sarah Maria3 Stickland, born 22 Aug 1886 in Bay de Lieu; christened 16 Sep 1886 in Bay de Lieu; buried 15 Dec 1886 at Burgeo.
5. James2 Timberley (Job1), born about 1848; buried 30 Nov 1890 in Burgeo. He married Caroline Clark, christened 5 May 1863 in Squire's Cove, daughter of John Clark and Susanna Lushman.
Children of James Timberley and Caroline Clark are as follows:
+ 20 i John3 Timberley. He married (---) Young.
+ 21 ii William3 Timberley, born about 1878; died about 1903 in Burgeo. He married Rosannah Ingram.
22 iii Sarah Ellen3 Timbrey, christened 10 Apr 1881 in Burgeo.
23 iv Isabella3 Timbury, born 15 Aug 1884 in Burgeo; christened 29 Aug 1884 in Burgeo; buried 4 Oct 1884 in Burgeo.
24 v Isabella Clark3 Timbury, born 17 Jul 1887 in Burgeo; christened 12 Aug 1887 in Burgeo; buried 24 Mar 1888 in Burgeo.
25 vi Susanna Litchman3 Timbury, christened 25 Aug 1889 in Burgeo.
6. George2 Timberley (Job1). He married before 1864, Jane (---).
Child of George Timberley and Jane (---) is as follows:
26 i Mary Jane3 Timbry, christened 9 May 1864 in Bay de Lieu.
17. Hannah3 Stickland (Sarah2 Timberley, Job1), born Apr 1876 in Bay de Lieu; died after 1921. She married George Sutton, born Jul 1868 in Burgeo; died after 1921.
Children of Hannah Stickland and George Sutton are as follows:
27 i William4 Sutton. He married Millie Taylor.
28 ii John Wilson4 Sutton, born 19 Dec 1900 in Burgeo; christened 10 Jan 1901 in Burgeo.
29 iii Rachel Alice4 Sutton, born 8 Oct 1902 in Burgeo; christened 9 Nov 1902 in Burgeo.
30 iv Martha4 Sutton, born 20 Apr 1905 in Burgeo; christened 21 May 1905 in Burgeo.
31 v Jeremiah4 Sutton, born Nov 1908 in Louisburg, Nova Scotia, Canada.
32 vi Mary J.4 Sutton, born Apr 1910 in Burgeo.
33 vii Joseph4 Sutton, born Nov 1911 in Burgeo.
20. John3 Timberley (James2, Job1), born about 1857. He married before 1881 (---) Young.
Child of John Timberley and (---) Young is as follows:
34 i Sarah Ann4 Timberley, born about 1881. She married on 30 Apr 1903 in Burgeo Henry McDonald, born about 1879.
21. William3 Timberley (James2, Job1), born about 1878; died about 1903 in Burgeo. He married on 27 Dec 1900 in Burgeo Rosannah Ingram, born about 1876; died 28 Nov 1904 in Burgeo; buried 29 Nov 1904 in Burgeo.
Child of William Timberley and Rosannah Ingram is as follows:
35 i Mary Jane4 Timberley, born 9 Sep 1901 in Burgeo; christened 28 Sep 1901 in Burgeo.
Back to publications | home