Join us in a common reading experience!
For the 2015-2015 academic year, UNM has selected the book titled Enrique’s Journey by Sonia Nazario.
This astonishing story puts a human face on the ongoing debate about immigration reform in the United States. Now a beloved classic, this page-turner about the power of family is a popular text in classrooms and a touchstone for communities across the country to engage in meaningful discussions about this essential American subject.
Enrique’s Journey recounts the unforgettable quest of a Honduran boy looking for his mother, eleven years after she is forced to leave her starving family to find work in the United States. Braving unimaginable peril, often clinging to the sides and tops of freight trains, Enrique travels through hostile worlds full of thugs, bandits, and corrupt cops. But he pushes forward, relying on his wit, courage, hope, and the kindness of strangers.
To hear a summary of the book, http://www.learnoutloud.com/Catalog/Biography/Everyday-People/Enriques-Journey/61859
The Lobo Reading Experience was created as a common academic reading program at the University of New Mexico (UNM). The program has been created for all students to offer a common reading experience that fosters a sense of community while promoting reading as an entire campus and a city wide effort that promotes literacy.
- To provide a common experience for all university community members to facilitate transition to a new academic year and create connections between classroom and out of class-room experiences.
- To engage discussions between students, faculty, staff, and community members surrounding societal issues, and to share learning aspirations.
- To integrate the book within course curriculums across campus providing faculty with a listing of ideas for faculty on how to incorporate it within their classes.
- Develop a yearlong comprehensive program within campus curricular and co-curricular activities, housing, parent association, new student orientation, and human resources that reaches all student, parents, and staff communities.
- To create the value of reading as a university community.
- To collaborate with the City of Albuquerque Cultural Services to promote literacy and reading as fun within the libraries, youth programs, and family centers.
University Library's LIBGUIDE:
Please also visit the University Library's LIBGUIDE for the Lobo Reading Experience by clicking here (COMING SOON)
Faculty and Instructors using the book:
Congratulations to university Faculty and Instructors who are using the book in their course. Feel free to contact instructors for ideas on how to integrate the book in your course. Click here to view the listing. (COMING SOON)