I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of New Mexico and also a member of the Center for Quantum Information and Control (CQuIC). Before joining UNM, I was a postdoctoral associate at MIT for two years. I completed my Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering in 2018 at the University of Southern California.
Email: mmarvian at unm.edu
Research interests: Quantum computing, Quantum information, Quantum error correction, Open quantum systems
If you are a student interested in working with me, please send me an email with your CV and research interests.
- ECE595: Quantum Error Correction, Spring 2021.
(Access through UNM's Blackboard Learn.)
- Quantum Earth Mover's Distance: A New Approach to Learning Quantum Data,
B. Kiani, G. De Palma, M. Marvian, ZW. Liu, S. Lloyd,
- Quantum algorithm for nonlinear differential equations,
S. Lloyd, G. De Palma, C. Gokler, B. Kiani, Z. Liu, M. Marvian, F. Tennie, T. Palmer,
- Quantum advantage for differential equation analysis,
B. Kiani, G. De Palma, D. Englund, W. Kaminsky, M. Marvian, S. Lloyd,
- The quantum Wasserstein distance of order 1,
G. De Palma, M. Marvian, D. Trevisan, S. Lloyd,
- Sign-curing local Hamiltonians: termwise versus global stoquasticity and the use of Clifford transformations ,
M. Ioannou, S. Piddock, M. Marvian, J. Klassen, B. M. Terhal,
- Quantum polar decomposition algorithm,
S. Lloyd, S. Bosch, G. De Palma, B. Kiani, Z. Liu, M. Marvian, P. Rebentrost, D. Arvidsson-Shukur,
- Robust universal Hamiltonian quantum computing using two-body interaction,
M. Marvian and S. Lloyd,
- A quantum instruction set implemented on a superconducting quantum processor,
M. Kjaergaard, M. E. Schwartz, A. Greene, G. O. Samach, A. Bengtsson, M. O'Keeffe, C. M. McNally, J. Braumüller, D. K. Kim, P. Krantz, M. Marvian, A. Melville, B. M. Niedzielski, Y. Sung, R. Winik, J. Yoder, D. Rosenberg, K. Obenland, S. Lloyd, T. P. Orlando, I. Marvian, S. Gustavsson, W. D. Oliver.
- Hardness and ease of curing the sign problem for two-Local qubit Hamiltonians,
J. Klassen*, M. Marvian*, S. Piddock, M. Ioannou, I. Hen, and B. Terhal,
SIAM Journal on Computing 49, no. 6 (2020): 1332-1362.
- On the computational complexity of curing non-stoquastic Hamiltonians,
M. Marvian, , D. A. Lidar, and I. Hen,
Nature Communications 10, no. 1 (2019): 1571.
[arXiv] [Presentation at QIP 2019]
- Suppression of effective noise in Hamiltonian simulations,
M. Marvian, T. Brun, and D. A. Lidar,
Physical Review A 96.5 (2017): 052328.
- Relaxation versus adiabatic quantum steady-state preparation,
L. Venuti, T. Albash, M. Marvian, D. A. Lidar, P. Zanardi,
Physical Review A 95.4 (2017): 042302.
- Error suppression for Hamiltonian quantum computing in Markovian environments,
M. Marvian and D. A. Lidar,
Physical Review A 95.3 (2017): 032302,
- Error suppression for Hamiltonian-based quantum computation using subsystem codes,
M. Marvian and D. A. Lidar,
Physical Review Letters 118.3 (2017): 030504.
- Fluctuation theorems for quantum processes,
T. Albash, D. A. Lidar, M. Marvian, and P. Zanardi,
Physical Review E 88.3 (2013): 032146,
- Secure quantum carriers for quantum state sharing,
V. Karimipour and M. Marvian,
International Journal of Quantum Information 10.02 (2012): 1250018.
Last update: Jan 2021