I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of New Mexico and also a member of the Center for Quantum Information and Control (CQuIC). Before joining UNM, I was a postdoctoral associate at MIT for two years. I completed my Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering in 2018 at the University of Southern California.
Email: mmarvian at unm.edu
Office: ECE 235D
Research interests: Quantum computing, Quantum error correction, Open quantum systems
Benjamin Anker (PhD student; F21-)
Leeseok Kim (PhD student; F21-)
Mohsin Raza (PhD student; F22-)
Changhao Yi (PhD student; F21-Summer22; Now postdoc at Fudan University)
If you are a student interested in working with me, please send me an email with your CV and research interests.
- ECE547: Quantum Error Correction, Spring 2023, Spring 2022, Spring 2021. (Syllabus)
- ECE300: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Fall 2022, Fall 2021. (Syllabus)
(Access through UNM's Canvas.)
(also see Google Scholar
- Flag Gadgets based on Classical Codes,
Benjamin Anker, Milad Marvian,
- Hamiltonian Quantum Generative Adversarial Networks,
Leeseok Kim, Seth Lloyd, Milad Marvian,
- Limitations of variational quantum algorithms: a quantum optimal transport approach,
G. De Palma, M. Marvian, C. Rouzé, D. Stilck França,
- Hamiltonian singular value transformation and inverse block encoding,
S. Lloyd, B. Kiani, D. Arvidsson-Shukur, S. Bosch, G. De Palma, W. Kaminsky, Z. Liu,
- Quantum Earth Mover's Distance: A New Approach to Learning Quantum Data,
B. Kiani, G. De Palma, M. Marvian, ZW. Liu, S. Lloyd,
Quantum Science and Technology 7, no. 4 (2022): 045002.
- Error mitigation via stabilizer measurement emulation,
A. Greene, M. Kjaergaard, M. E. Schwartz, G. O. Samach, A. Bengtsson, M. O'Keeffe, D. K. Kim, M. Marvian, A. Melville, B. M. Niedzielski, A. Vepsalainen, R. Winik, J. Yoder, D. Rosenberg, S. Lloyd, T. P. Orlando, I. Marvian, S. Gustavsson, W. D. Oliver,
- Quantum algorithm for nonlinear differential equations,
S. Lloyd, G. De Palma, C. Gokler, B. Kiani, Z. Liu, M. Marvian, F. Tennie, T. Palmer,
- Quantum advantage for differential equation analysis,
B. Kiani, G. De Palma, D. Englund, W. Kaminsky, M. Marvian, S. Lloyd,
Physical Review A, 105(2), p.022415.
- The quantum Wasserstein distance of order 1,
G. De Palma, M. Marvian, D. Trevisan, S. Lloyd,
IEEE Transactions on Information Theory (2021).
24th Annual Conference on Quantum Information Processing (QIP), Munich, Germany, February 1-5, 2021.
16th Conference on the Theory of Quantum Computation, Communication, and Cryptogra- phy (TQC 2021), July 5 to 8, 2021.
- Sign-curing local Hamiltonians: termwise versus global stoquasticity and the use of Clifford transformations ,
M. Ioannou, S. Piddock, M. Marvian, J. Klassen, B. M. Terhal,
- Quantum polar decomposition algorithm,
S. Lloyd, S. Bosch, G. De Palma, B. Kiani, Z. Liu, M. Marvian, P. Rebentrost, D. Arvidsson-Shukur,
- Robust universal Hamiltonian quantum computing using two-body interaction,
M. Marvian and S. Lloyd,
- A quantum instruction set implemented on a superconducting quantum processor,
M. Kjaergaard, M. E. Schwartz, A. Greene, G. O. Samach, A. Bengtsson, M. O'Keeffe, C. M. McNally, J. Braumüller, D. K. Kim, P. Krantz, M. Marvian, A. Melville, B. M. Niedzielski, Y. Sung, R. Winik, J. Yoder, D. Rosenberg, K. Obenland, S. Lloyd, T. P. Orlando, I. Marvian, S. Gustavsson, W. D. Oliver,
Physical Review X 12, no. 1 (2022): 011005.
- Hardness and ease of curing the sign problem for two-Local qubit Hamiltonians,
J. Klassen*, M. Marvian*, S. Piddock, M. Ioannou, I. Hen, and B. Terhal,
SIAM Journal on Computing 49, no. 6 (2020): 1332-1362.
- On the computational complexity of curing non-stoquastic Hamiltonians,
M. Marvian, , D. A. Lidar, and I. Hen,
Nature Communications 10, no. 1 (2019): 1571.
[arXiv] [Presentation at QIP 2019]
- Suppression of effective noise in Hamiltonian simulations,
M. Marvian, T. Brun, and D. A. Lidar,
Physical Review A 96.5 (2017): 052328.
- Relaxation versus adiabatic quantum steady-state preparation,
L. Venuti, T. Albash, M. Marvian, D. A. Lidar, P. Zanardi,
Physical Review A 95.4 (2017): 042302.
- Error suppression for Hamiltonian quantum computing in Markovian environments,
M. Marvian and D. A. Lidar,
Physical Review A 95.3 (2017): 032302,
- Error suppression for Hamiltonian-based quantum computation using subsystem codes,
M. Marvian and D. A. Lidar,
Physical Review Letters 118.3 (2017): 030504.
- Fluctuation theorems for quantum processes,
T. Albash, D. A. Lidar, M. Marvian, and P. Zanardi,
Physical Review E 88.3 (2013): 032146,
- Secure quantum carriers for quantum state sharing,
V. Karimipour and M. Marvian,
International Journal of Quantum Information 10.02 (2012): 1250018.
Last update: Dec 2022