How Do I File a Claim?

The University of New Mexico's Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) (505-277-5251) is where to go if you have a question, problem, or claim of discrimination. In order to file a claim of discrimination, you should submit an Intake Questionaire (English version) or Cuestionario Preliminar (Spanish version) to OEO. Please view our Discrimination Claims Procedures (English version) or our Procedimiento de Quejas de Discriminacion (Spanish version) for more information on claims procedures.

State and federal laws also protect you and complaints may be filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Albuquerque Area Office (505-248-5210) or the NM, Human Rights Division (HRD) (505-827-6838). If you are a student, you may also raise a complaint of discrimination wih the Federal Office for Civil Rights (OCR), Denver District Office (303-844-5695).

Under University policy, an individual against whom protected class discrimination or sexual harassment allegations are made has the right to know what the specific allegations are and who made the allegations so that they can respond to those allegations, as they may be subject to disciplinary action if the OEO finds that they violated University policy after conducting an investigation. On the other hand, there may be cases wherein the OEO may be able to intervene in a situation that does not involve a formal complaint of discrimination or sexual harassment and be able to resolve an issue and keep the identities of the parties anonymous.

What is Discrimination?

Discrimination is treating someone differently based on a civil rights protected class. A protected class is a group of people protected against discrimination by University policy or by state and federal law. At The University of New Mexico, the following are considered protected classes:

  • Age
  • Ancestry/National Origin
  • Color/Race
  • Gender Identity
  • Genetic Information
  • Medical Condition
  • Mental/Physical Disability
  • Pregnancy
  • Religion
  • Sex/Sexual Harassment
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Spousal Affiliation
  • Veteran Status
  • Any Other Protected Class