of Human Osteology
Maxwell Museum of Anthropology
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131-0001
Donor Frequently Asked Questions:
Donation Process click
on a question to receive an answer.
What happens when I pass away?
11. I live outside of the State of New Mexico. What will I need
to do to have my body sent to the Office of the Medical Investigator?
12. What expenses are the responsibility of my family or estate
in relation to the donation of my body?
13. Should my estate or family assume the expense of a conventional
funeral or memorial service before donating my skeletal remains
to your collection?
14. What is involved in the actual preparation of my skeleton for
15. What will happen to the rest (non-skeletal portions) of my remains?
16. Will my family receive any remains that they can bury or cremate?
I would like to be cremated and then donated to your program. Can
I do that?
18. Who has access to my remains once they are stored in your repository?