General Guidelines for Use
Below are general guidelines for use of the PCard.
- The Purchasing Card may be used to purchase goods, materials, supplies and non-capital equipment not exceeding $5000.00 (unless a departmental budget authority has set a lower limit for an individual Cardholder).
- The PCard may be used to pay for approved services not exceeding $2500.00.
- The PCard may be used to purchase professional 1 year subscriptions.
- The PCard may be used to pay professional conference registration fees.
- The PCard may be used to pay professional membership dues.
- There are no limits on the number of daily or monthly transactions unless a departmental budget authority has set such limits for an individual Cardholder. An attempt to use the Purchasing Card for purchases in excess of the set card limits will result in the PCard being declined.
- To maintain PCI compliance, never conduct PCard transactions through email. Never include a PCard number in an email.
- The Purchasing Card cannot be used for any of the prohibited categories of goods and services listed on the Prohibited Purchases page.
- The Purchasing Card may be used for many business travel expenses. In order to use your PCard to purchase travel, a Modification of Cardholder Information must be submitted and the Cardholder must complete the PCard for Travel training module and exam. This training is available through the Employee and Organizational Development web site.
- Food is allowed by pre-approved special exception Guidelines for Employee Food Expense for information on when such exception requests may be approved.
. Please see the Unrestricted Accounting, Main
- Splitting of purchases, incremental purchasing or any activity to avoid a decline is prohibited with the Purchasing Card. Incremental purchasing or splitting of purchases with the PCard will result in cancellation of Cardholder privileges.
- The PCard can not be used for personal and/or unauthorized items or services. It may only be used for items purchased for approved UNM business purposes.
- UNM is exempt from sales tax on tangible goods. No sales tax is to be paid for tangible goods purchased on the Purchasing Card. Tax Exemption Policy