Purchasing Card Overview, Part I
The following will give you an overview of the process of requesting a Purchasing Card, using it to make a purchase, Cardholder reconciliation of statement, and Purchasing and A/P PCard functions. We will go into each process in greater detail later in the training module.
- Department completes UNM Purchasing Card Application Form.
- This request contains the information the Purchasing Card Administrator needs to order a PCard from the bank. It also contains internal information such as UNM default index and account code, department information, Banner security access, transaction controls, MCC blocking, and a statement that the Cardholder and department Director agree to the Cardholder Agreement.
- The application for Purchasing Card is sent to Purchasing for approval.
- Purchasing Card Administrator:
- The Purchasing Card Administrator orders the Purchasing Card from the bank and sets up all internal files.
- The Cardholder will pick up the PCard from the Purchasing Card Administrator and sign the Cardholder Agreement.
- Cardholder places an order and enters the order on the Transaction Log.
- The Cardholder calls or physically places an order with the vendor and enters the information on the Transaction Log. The vendor either electronically or via phone call to Visa requests an authorization for the order. Visa checks the preset authorization parameters established for the Cardholder and either approves the transaction or declines it. If approved, the vendor ships the items.
- Cardholder receives the order and secures the original packing slip, paid invoice, or register receipt.
- The Cardholder files the packing slip and other relevant documents with the Transaction Log.
- Cardholder approves receipt of the items and reallocates in Banner if necessary.
- The Cardholder notes the receipt date on the Transaction Log.
- 2-3 days after the purchase is made, the transaction is available in Banner for reallocation.
- Upon logging into Banner, you will receive a message that you have PCard transactions awaiting your review.
- The Cardholder can reallocate the charges to approved index and/or account codes. The Cardholder can also split the charge amount among any of the approved index and/or account codes (not to exceed 10 indices/accounts per transaction).
- Any reallocation must be done within 10 days from the date the transaction appears in Banner (prior to Feed Date).
- If a transaction is not reallocated within the 10 day period, a Journal Voucher must be processed to move the dollars and an PCard infraction will be logged..
- Click here to view the online Banner Byte training module for transaction maintenance in Banner.