Assistant Professor | Civil Engineering
Download PDF file
Dr. Rowangould is an assistant professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at UNM. He earned a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and a M.S. in Resource Economics and Policy from the University of Maine and a PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of California, Davis. Dr. Rowangould has over 8 years of transportation policy, planning, and modeling research experience. He is focused on developing a more sustainable transportation system by improving the models and analytical techniques used to make critical transportation planning and policy decisions, and by developing a better understanding of how transportation system users respond to changes in infrastructure and land use. Dr. Rowangould teaches courses in economics, transportation planning, and travel demand modeling at UNM.
Prior to joining UNM in the fall of 2012 Dr. Rowangould was a Science Fellow at the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) in Santa Monica, California. While at NRDC he conducted research on population exposure to mobile source emissions, urban freight movement, the design of air quality monitoring networks, and the emission of air pollutants from locomotives. In addition to his research role at NRDC, he helped low income and minority groups develop more sustainable transportation and land-use plans for their communities. He also supported NRDC’s advocacy and legal staff by reviewing the modeling and analytical methods used to support multi-billion dollar transportation projects and compliance with California’s landmark transportation and land-use law (SB375) which requires reducing per capita greenhouse gas emissions though integrated land-use and transportation planning.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Poorfakhraei, A., M. Tayarani, and G. Rowangould. (accepted, in press). Evaluating Health Outcomes from Vehicle Emissions Exposure in the Long Range Regional Transportation Planning Process . Journal of Transport & Health.
- Nadafianshahamabadi, R., M. Tayarani, G. Rowangould. (2017). Differences in Expertise and Values: Comparing Community and Expert Assessments of a Transportation Project. Sustainable Cities and Society. doi:10.1016/j.scs.2016.08.027
- Tayarani, M., Poorfakhraei, A., Nadafianshahamabadi, R., Rowangould, G., (2016). Evaluating unintended outcomes of regional smart-growth strategies: Environmental justice and public health concerns. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 49, 280–290. doi:10.1016/j.trd.2016.10.011
- Rowangould, G. and M. Tayarani (2016). The Effect of Bicycle Facilities and Travel Mode Choice Decisions. ASCE Journal of Urban Planning and Development. 10.1061/(ASCE)UP.1943-5444.0000341
- Poorfakhraei, A. and G. Rowangould (2015). Estimating Welfare Change Associated with Improvements in Urban Bicycling Facilities. ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000799
- Rowangould, G. (2015). A new approach for evaluating regional exposure to particulate matter emissions from motor vehicles, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 34: 307-317. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2014.11.020
- Rowangould, G. (2013). Public Financing of Private Freight Rail Infrastructure to Reduce Highway Congestion: A Case Study of Public Policy and Decision Making in the United States. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. 57: 25-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2013.09.007
- Rowangould, G. (2013). A Census of the United States Near-Roadway Population: Public Health and Environmental Justice Considerations. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment.25: 59-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2013.08.003
- Gould, G. and D. Niemeier (2011). Assignment of Emissions Using a New Locomotive Emissions Model. Environmental Science and Technology. 45(13): 5846-5852. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es103660r
- Gould, G. and A. Karner (2009). Modeling Bicycle Facility Operation: a Cellular Automaton Approach. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2140: 157-164. http://dx.doi.org/10.3141/2140-17
- McCollum, D., G. Gould, and D. Greene (2009). Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Aviation and Marine Transportation: Mitigation Potential and Policies. Report prepared for the Pew Center on Global Climate Change, Washington D.C. http://www.c2es.org/docUploads/aviation-and-marine-report-2009.pdf
- Gould, G. and D. Niemeier (2009). Review of Regional Locomotive Emission Modeling and the Constraints Posed by Activity Data. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2117: 24-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.3141/2117-04
- Niemeier, D., G. Gould, A. Karner, M. Hixson, B. Bachmann, C. Okma, Z. Lang and D. Heres Del Valle (2008). Rethinking downstream regulation: California's opportunity to engage households in reducing greenhouse gases. Energy Policy, 36(9). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2008.04.024
- Rowangould, G., R. Nadafianshahamabadi, A. Poorfakhraei, and S Bogus Halter (May 2017). Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program Best Practices Scan, New Mexico Department of Transportation, Santa Fe, NM.
- Lee, S., Tremble, M. Vaivai, J., Rowangould, G., Tayarani, M., Poorfakhraei, A. (2015). Central New Mexico climate change scenario planning project: final report. Report prepared for the U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Federal Highway Administration and Mid Region Council of Governments. URL: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/55000/55000/55072/Central_NM_Climate_Change_Scenario_Planning.pdf
- Gould, G. (2012) Analysis of Greenhouse Gas Emission Estimates for the Interstate 710 Corridor Project. Report Prepared for Communities for a Better Environment, Huntington Park, CA. https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/sma_12100301a.pdf (Section G)
- Gould, G. (2012) Analysis of the Alternatives Selection Process for the Interstate 710 Corridor Project. Report Prepared for Communities for a Better Environment, Huntington Park, CA. https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/sma_12100301a.pdf (Section I)
- Gould, G. (2012) Physical Separation of the Chicago Area Waterway System: The Economic and Environmental Impact of Barge Traffic Disruption. NRDC WorkingPaper.
- Gould, G. and D. Niemeier. (2010). Report on the Development of a GIS Enabled Locomotive Emission Model for California. Research report prepared for the California Air Resources Board, Sacramento, CA.
- Gould, G. and A. Karner. (2009). Modeling Bicycle Facility Operation: a Cellular Automaton Approach. Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California, Davis, Research Report UCD-ITS-RR-09-10.
- C. Noblet, G. Gould, J. Rubin, D. Innis, and C. Morris (2006). Sustainable Transportation Funding for Maine's Future. Report prepared for the Maine Department of Transportation, Augusta, ME.
Civil Engineering Department, MSC01 1070
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
Ph (505) 277-1973