Stop by the Student Activities Center
The staff at the Student Activities Center is always ready to consult and assist you with completing the charting process for an existing or brand new student organization. You will need to complete a Chartered Student Organization workshop before your group is approved, so check-in early in your process to get this done. We've tried to make this process as easy as possible. We are located in the Student Union Building room 1018.
Student Organization Handbook
Please refer to the Student Organization Handbook for a detailed guide for creating and managing student organizations.
Prechartering is an optional process with several advantages. To precharter a group, simply file a Prechartering Form with the Student Activities Center. Prechartering allows you to reserve meeting rooms and display tables free of charge in the Student Union Building, post notices and free use of SAC tables and chairs for tabling outdoors on campus. Prechartering is available for a limited period of time and is helpful in organizing a new group, recruiting new members, and publicizing activities.
Chartering leads to official recognition of the student organization by The University of New Mexico. Chartered student organizations have access to use several campus facilities, may rent/checkout event equipment and have various funding opportunities. An organization may charter at any time of the year, however all organizations must recharter every fall (after August 1st) regardless of when they chartered the previous year. Organizations who charter by the established fall deadline will be listed in the fall edition of the Guide to Chartered Student Organizations.
Chartering does not constitute an endorsement of an organization, its program or purposes by the University. Chartered student organizations are not covered under the State of New Mexico’s General Liability Policy.
Click Here for a checklist for re-chartering an existing student organization.
Click Here for a checklist for chartering a new student organization.
STEPS IN THE CHARTERING PROCESS
1. Attend a Chartering Workshop - The Student Activities Center sponsors chartering workshops in the fall and at least one officer (we encourage more) is required to attend. Workshops are a brief review of the policies, procedures, and services available to chartered groups. A demonstration of the online chartering program will also be given. Click Here for a schedule of workshops that typically run August through mid-September. If there are no more group workshops scheduled, please set up a personal workshop with the Student Activities Center.
2. Chartering Form - Complete the UNM Chartered Student Organization Form which is available at the Student Activities Center’s website here: https://unm-community.symplicity.com/sso/students. You will need to login with your UNM email address and your UNM ID# as your password. If you have problems logging in, contact our office at 277-4706 or SUB room 1018. A password is required to access the page and it is given out at the workshops. Organizations must abide by the stipulations outlined on the form and in the Chartered Student Organization Policy. See the column on the next page for the information needed to submit a charter or go to the “Start a Club” section on the Student Activities Center website.
The online chartering system at sac.unm.edu does not allow you to save your progress as you complete the form so make sure you have the following pieces of information before you start:
1. Complete Name for the Organization (Do not begin name w/ The or UNM)
2. Pick a Primary Category for the Organization
(Academic/Departmental, Ethnic/Cultural, Fraternity, Graduate, Honorary, Military, Political, Religious, Residence Hall, Service, Sorority, Special Interest, Sport/Recreation)
3. Purpose Statement (300 words or less)
4. Contact phone number and email address for the group
5. Mailing Address (SAC Mailboxes are available for free use if available)
6. Names and Positions of at least 2 Officers (Contact our office if you are unable to find an student in our system and we can add them)
7. Professional Staff Advisor Information
(Name, Affiliation, Job Title, Department, Mailing Address, Email and Phone Number) All info can be obtained through the Campus Directory
8. Composition of the Organization (Undergraduate, Graduate, Mixed)
9. Enrollment Options (Open, Approve Applications, Invitation Only)
10. Electronic Version of the local Constitution (and by-laws if you have them).
The online chartering system also allows you to provide additional information to share with prospective members. The optional information you are able to provide includes:
1. Nickname or Acronym for your organization
2. Secondary Category for the Organization
3. Dues/Fees Charged by the Organization
4. Website Link (For your organization)
5. Additional Officers and Members
6. Organization Logo (jpg form)
7. Meeting Information
8. Important website links (Headquarters, etc)
9. Other Documents (Meeting Minutes, Flyers, etc)
Complete Charter Process
Your charter will not be complete until the Student Activities Center has received a completed online charter registration, with approved Constitution, and 2 officers have accepted membership in the system. The administrator will receive an email upon charter approval.
Contact the Student Activities Center (277-4706, SUB room 1018) if you can
not login or find other students in the chartering system database. We can
fix these problems and add students to the database quickly.
3. Constitution/Bylaws - One copy of a current constitution (and by-laws if you have them) must be submitted electronically with the chartering form. If your organization is affiliated with a national or international organization, you must submit a copy of your local chapter constitution (and bylaws). UNM does not recognize national level constitutions or by-laws. Remember to keep a copy for your own files. Click Here for a Constitution template for a guideline on writing a constitution and by-laws.
© The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, (505) 277-0111
New Mexico's Flagship University