ESS Related Link Category
- Upcoming Events
- Latest News
- Photo Gallery
- Important Links
- Friends of ESS
- ESS Staff
- Contact Us
- Site Map
UNM Related Link Category
The Engineering Student Services (ESS) with the support of the U.S. Department of Transportation is sponsoring a Summer Transportation Institute (STI) for secondary school students. This three week residential program will take place on the University of New Mexico campus in Albuquerque. The program is free of charge.
The program objective is to offer participants an opportunity to explore careers available in the transportation industry and provide pre-college skills to pursue higher education degrees.
The STI program dates for 2014 are: Sunday, June 8 through Friday, June 27.
Program activities include:
1) Field trips to transportation related sites
2) Projects that promote hands-on learning, critical thinking and team building
3) Guest speakers who will discuss their work and opportunities in their field
4) Courses that will enhance participant knowledge in English, mathematics and computer skills
5) Recreational and social activities during the evening and on weekends
The selection criteria for the STI program is as follows:
1) Students must be enrolled in a recognized secondary school
2) Students must be a sophomore or junior advancing into their jurnior or senior year
3) Having a grade point average of 3.0 will be considered favorably (2.0 GPA minimum)
4) Must be committed to completing the entire program
Applications must include:
1) A personal statement (400-500) words explaining why the student wants to participate in the STI program.
2) A letter of recommendation from a teacher and high school counselor
3) A copy of current high school transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
4) A copy of any standardized test scores, if available
5) Completed and signed application form
APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO: Friday, April 4, 2014