This section of the tutorial contains some example questions. You can tell which answer is correct by pointing at it with the mouse cursor: correct answers will highlight.
1) Which of these is not a microcomputer?
d) handheld PC
2) Another name for the main circuit board of a personal computer is...
a) RAM board
b) peripheral board
d) central processing chip
3) The first general purpose computer that could be programmed was the
a) IBM PC
4) The first microprocessor chip was developed by
5) A personal computer is a
c) Personal Digital Assistant
6) Which of these is not designed to be portable?
a) notebook computer
c) laptop computer
7) Which of these would NOT be classified as system software
b) Microsoft Windows
c) device drivers
d) hard disk recovery utility
8) Which of these would NOT be classified as application software?
a) Microsoft Excel
b) Microsoft Access
d) Adobe Photoshop
9) If your computer reports that a file has a size of one kilobyte, then how much space it is using?
a) 8 bytes
c) 1,048,576 bytes
d) exactly 1,000 bytes
10) The code used to store letters in the form of numbers in a computer.
a) ROM code
11) Which component are you unlikely to find as part of a motherboard?
c) CMOS memory
12) A computer must be capable of doing all of these things except...
b) output data
c) process data
d) store data
13) Which of these is not an output device?
c) laser printer
d) LCD display
14) Which of these is a pointing device?
a) laser printer
c) data bus
d) decimal point
15) You could measure a microprocessor’s clock speed in...
c) bits per second
16) CPU stands for:
a) Computation Procedure Unit
b) Chip Production Utility
c) Computer Programmers Union
17) Which of these is volatile?
18) Which type of memory holds data that does not change?
19) A CD-ROM can hold approximately
a) 1.44 megabytes
b) 250 gigabytes
d) 1.44 gigabytes
20) This device stores data by magnetizing tiny spots on a metal disk.
a) CD-ROM disk drive
c) USB Flash Drive
d) DVD disc drive
21) Which of these can a personal computer NOT write data on?
b) hard disk
c) Zip disk
22) These are small expansion cards that can be inserted into many laptop computers.
a) SCSIS cards
b) ASCII cards
d) CPU cards
23) This is a common networking technology.
a) IEEE 1492
24) Which of these ports would you most likely use to connect a keyboard to a personal computer?
a) Parallel port
d) PCMCIA port
25) A device that converts digital computer data to analog signals for telecommunications.
b) Ethernet card
c) web browser
d) I/O port
26) A device with a display and a keyboard, but no independent processing power.
a) Dumb PC
|Return to Top||Return to Top|
Last update: February 22, 2007 1:55 AM