ALAMEDA , NEW MEXICO. A historic Native American and Hispanic settlement since pre-historic times.
From 1832 until the 1904 flood, this Alameda Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, later named Nativity of Mary, stood in the old plaza just north of the intersection of Rio Grande and Alameda Boulevards. Courtesy Museum of New Mexico, Negative #104662.
Alameda means a grove, or the place of trees, in this case a grove of cottonwoods.
The post - revolt Hispanic plaza of Alameda was located immediately north of the intersection of Rio Grande Boulevard and Alameda Road until 1903. At that time, destruction by floodwaters forced the church to move southeast to its present location at 4th and Alameda.
The claims of the Town of Alameda and Elena Gallegos grants posit a different course for the Rio Grande through the Alameda area in the early eighteenth century, one that ran close to hills east of the present bed. Jose Urrutia's map of 1769 placed Alameda on the east side of the Rio Grande, showing that the river changed course to its present bed sometime between 1710 and 1769 (Town of Alameda Grant: 20-21,83; Elena Gallegos Grant:3; sergeant 1987:39 44).
The church there was -dedicated to Santa Ana, according to Vetancurt, , and it was burned in the 1680 revolt (Vetancurt 1961:267). In his reminiscences, recorded in 1777, Juan Candelaria gave a post-conquest history in which Alameda was repopulated in 1702 by Tiwa Indians; they were relocated to Isleta in 1708; the town was settled by Spaniards in 1711; and construction of the church began in 1712 (Armijo 1929:276-278). In 1754, rather Jose Manual San Juan Nepomuceno y Trigo reported that the residents of Alburquerque actually lived on their farms in Alameda and only inhabited Alburquerque on Sunday (Hackett 1937:464).
A recent archeology dig near the corner of Alameda and Rio Grande Blvds. where more than 40 skeletons were recovered shows continual occupation of the area since the re-conquest to the present by Spanish settlers. It has more recently become popular with upscale housing and urban fringe activities such as hiking, bicycling and fishing. Historically the area has been the location to a Tewa pueblo named Alameda.