Frequently Asked Questions of Surplus Property

Q.  Where can I find out information on how to use surplus?
A.  Surplus Property information can be found on their website at:

Q.  What time are the "showroom" and drop-off  hours?
A.  Tuesday - Thursday 8:00-11:00 AM and Monday – Wednesday - Friday 1:00-4:00 PM. 

Q.  Where are you located?
A.  1642 University Blvd NE, between Indian School and the freeway. We are located on the North side of the building.

Q.  How does a department buy surplus items? 
A.  Come to our showroom at 1642 University Blvd NE during our showroom hours and look for what you need.  We accept a valid Purchase Requisition (PR) from any UNM department.  You can take the items with you or arrange for delivery.  You can apply for a PR on our website at:

Q.  Who is responsible for the erasure of computer hard drives?
A.   The UNM Information Technologies department insures that all hard drives are erased properly following UNM/State of New Mexico policies and procedures.  There is a satellite location at Surplus Property to perform this onsite as computers are received and processed.

Q.  Who are considered the Authorized Signature on the “Request for Disposal of Surplus Property” form?   
A.  Department Chair, Administrator or Manager can sign the Request for Disposal of Surplus Property form.  The form can be found at: .

Q.  Is it necessary to complete all sections of the Request for Disposal of Surplus Property form (top, middle and bottom left corner)?
A.  Yes, each section ensures that we have all of the necessary and required information to formally request that an item be removed from your inventory.

Q.  When we purchase an item(s) from surplus, how long does it take to get it delivered?
A.  When Surplus receives the Purchase Requisition form, it is usually within 1- 2 business days.

Q.  Why does a person from the department have to be present to sign the Request for Disposal form when items are picked up?
A.  To verify where the item(s) are and which item(s) are to be picked up.

Q.  When we complete the “Request of Disposal” form instead of faxing can we email the form?
A.  Yes, please email the form to

Q.  When do we receive a receipt for the item(s) that have been picked up from our department?
A.  When the item(s) return to Surplus Property they are accounted for and a copy of the Request for Disposal form is faxed to the department.

Q.  When am I required to send a letter to University Services justifying the disposition of an asset to Surplus Property?
A.  When one or more of the following conditions is true:

  • The asset had an acquisition cost of $10,000 or more;
  • The asset has a current book value of $1,000 or more;
  • The asset was acquired within the past three years.

Q.  How do I donate an asset to another entity?
A.  Submit a memo to the Associate Director of University Services, UNM Surplus Property, on your departmental letterhead.  This memo needs to include the following information:  identify the equipment in general and specific terms, who the recipient will be, and state the intended use of the equipment and if it is to be used for educational purposes.  Include as much information as possible.

The donating department must still fill out a surplus disposition form, the form can be found at:   You will need to obtain a copy of the 501(c)3 federal non-profit status form if applicable of the donee which will be attached to the departmental letter along with the rest of the documentation.  Our office will research the transaction and the equipment and work with Property Accounting to process the donation.  Once the transaction is complete and Regents approval is obtained we will notify you and authorize the donation.  A letter of acknowledgement is required from the receiving entity to acknowledge receipt of the item(s).