UNM Valencia Campus Logo
  Admissions & Registration
SW view of Valencia Campus
Grading Procedures

Grading Options

Grade Point Average

Change of Grade

 Removal of Incomplete Grade

Grade Replacement Policy


Probation and Suspension

Grade Petition Procedure

Academic Renewal Policy

Rights and Responsibilities

Catalog Requirements

Director's List

Graduation/Grad with Honors



Confidentiality of Records

The grades awarded in UNM–Valencia Campus courses measure the quality of work achieved in each course. The meaning as well as the fractionated grade points per credit hour, are as follows:
Letter Grade Interpretation Grade Point
A+ excellent 4.33
A excellent 4.00
A- excellent 3.67
B+ good 3.33
B good 3.00
B- good 2.67
C+ satisfactory 2.33
C satisfactory 2.00
*C- satisfactory 1.67
* Only a grade of C or better is accepted towards fulfillment of General Education Core Curriculum requirements
D+ barely passed 1.33
D barely passed 1.00
D- barely passed 0.67
F Failed 0.00
  Grade Point Average
A student’s academic standing is measured in terms of a Grade Point Average (GPA). The GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned at the University of New Mexico by the total number of hours attempted at UNM. Grades of “CR”, “WP”, “PR”, or “I” are not included in this computation. A “WF” grade is included as a failing grade.
GPA is calculated for each semester and for all semesters completed. The latter is known as the student’s cumulative or overall GPA.
    Change of Grade
Any change of grade (except for the removal of an Incomplete) after the grade is on record in the Registrar’s Office can be made only after the reasons for such a change have been submitted in writing by the instructor concerned and is approved by the UNM–Albuquerque Campus Admissions and Registration Committee. Such a change in grade must be requested within 12
months after the end of the grading period. No grade (except an Incomplete) can be raised by completion of extra work or by special examination.
    Removal of Incomplete (“I”) Grade
The grade of “I” is given only when circumstances beyond the student’s control have prevented completion of the coursework within the official dates of a session. Students should not reenroll or reregister (for credit) in a course for which an incomplete has been received in order to remove the incomplete.
Incomplete grades must be removed by the published ending date of the next semester in residence or within the next four (4) semesters if the student does not reenroll in residence. An Incomplete may be removed even though a student is not enrolled in residence. Students are responsible for making arrangements with the instructor for removal of an Incomplete. An Incomplete is changed to a grade by completing the work prescribed by the instructor. Incomplete grades not removed in accordance with these policies are automatically converted to “F” (failure). In order to be eligible for graduation, an Incomplete grade must be removed.
Follow these steps to remove an Incomplete:
1. The instructor completes the form and returns it to the Registrar’s Office.
2. The form is then forwarded to UNM–Albuquerque Campus where the UNM Registrar makes the official entry on the student’s record.
    Grade Replacement Policy
A student may repeat any course, but receives credit only once. (This does not apply to courses noted “may be repeated more than once”.) Through fall 1990, all attempts and all grades are computed in the student’s grade point average.
A new repeat policy was approved and was effective with the spring 1991 semester. The new policy states that any course acceptable toward an undergraduate degree can be repeated one time for improvement of a grade. Attempted courses remain on the student record; however, the lower grade is removed from the calculation of the GPA and the new grade is included. The student receives credit only once. Only 12 hours of course work may be repeated for grade improvement. This process is not automatic. A student must contact the Registrar’s Office regarding the correct procedure.
No repeated course is allowed for grade improvement after a degree has been awarded. Courses taken prior to spring 1991 are not considered the first attempt. The first attempt must be spring 1991, or after.
A student who fails a course at UNM and repeats the same course with a grade of “C” or better at another college or university may have the credit accepted for transfer but the “F” earned at UNM continues to be computed in the grade point average.
Examinations, other than final examinations, may be given during each course at the discretion of the instructor. A final examination for each course is administered during the last week of the semester. Final examination schedules are available from the Dean of Instruction’s office and in the current schedule of classes. They also are posted on campus several weeks prior to the final examination period. Only under exceptional circumstances may a student take the final examination at a time other than the officially scheduled time.
    Probation and Suspension
Probationary status serves as a warning to students that they are no longer in good academic standing and that they may soon become eligible for suspension. Students are placed on academic probation when their cumulative grade point average falls below the minimum requirements established in the UNM–Albuquerque Campus catalog. In the case of Unclassified, Certificate, and Associate degree students at UNM–Valencia Campus, a 2.0 GPA is required to remain in good academic standing.
Students are subject to suspension at the end of any semester or session unless they have succeeded in removing themselves from probation or have shown adequate improvement from semester to semester.
At registration time, the Associate Director for Student Services may limit a student on probation to enroll for a minimum number of hours and may at any time require a student on probation to drop hours that seem beyond his or her ability. In addition, students on academic probation are required to meet with an academic advisor a minimum of three times during the probation period. Students on probation also are subject to the loss of financial aid that requires the maintenance of at least a 1.65 GPA.
Students suspended for the first time are not eligible to reenter the University for a period of one semester from the date of suspension. Students under a repeated suspension are not eligible to reenter the University for a period of one academic year from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the third time may not enroll for classes for a period of five academic years from the date of the suspension. Readmission at the end of the suspension period requires the approval of the UNM– Valencia Campus Associate Director for Student Services.
Students suspended for poor scholarship in the past are considered on probation when they return to the University, as are students who withdrew from the University while on probation, unless their withdrawal makes them subject to suspension.
Credits earned at other institutions while on suspension are not accepted at UNM–Valencia Campus as transfer credit.

Grade Petition Procedure
1. A student seeking retroactive withdrawal, enrollment, or disenrollment; or extension of time for removal of an incomplete grade, or a grade option change; or for further academic record changes involving exceptions to the rules governing registration and academic records that are set forth in the University Catalog may submit petitions to the UNM–Valencia Campus Registrar’s Office or directly to the UNM Records Office.

2. The petition shall state the nature of the request and shall specify the semester involved, the course and section number, the student’s name, I.D. number, mailing address, and telephone number. The petition should state the reason for initiating the request, and shall include documentation of extenuating circumstances, such as medical, family, or employment needs. The
petition shall be typed and signed.

3. Upon receipt of the student’s petition, the instructor(s) involved is contacted for a statement concerning the request.

4. The petition (along with instructor comments) is forwarded to the Grade Petition Committee for a review and decision.

5. Students are notified in writing of the outcome of the petition.

6. If the petition is denied, the student may want to appeal the decision. For more specific information on the appeal process students may contact the UNM–Valencia Campus Registrar’s Office.

    Academic Renewal Policy
Academic Renewal applies to undergraduate degree-seeking students who have been readmitted to UNM or UNM–Valencia Campus after an absence of five years. The procedure allows a currently enrolled student to request his/her academic record be
reviewed for the purpose of evaluating previously earned credits and recalculation of the student’s grade point average from the point of readmission.
Students may obtain petition forms and details from the UNM–Valencia Campus Registrar’s Office.
    Academic Rights and Responsibilities of Students
UNM has established policies regarding students’ educational records, academic integrity, grievances, classroom conduct, and identification. Complete texts of these policies may be found in the UNM student handbook, the Pathfinder and/or the UNM– Valencia Campus Catalog and Schedule of Classes. These policies are in keeping with the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act regarding confidentially of records. The Student Grievance policy and Student Disciplinary procedures are included in the Appendices of this catalog.

Catalog Requirements
Students may graduate under the catalog requirements for the year in which they were enrolled for the first time in the academic or vocational program in which they are seeking a degree, provided they complete the graduation requirements within a continuous six-year period. If students interrupt attendance or transfer from one academic/vocational program to another within the university, they must graduate under the degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their readmission or transfer.
Students who do not register for one or more semesters are covered by the catalog in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Students are responsible for knowing the rules and regulations concerning graduation requirements and for registering in the courses necessary to meet them.

    Director’s List
Separate lists are established for part-time and full-time students. To qualify for either list, a student must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours at the UNM–Valencia Campus. In addition:
1. Part-time students must complete at least six (6) credit hours with regular grading option in a given semester at the Valencia Campus;
2. Full-time students must complete 12 hours (9 hours with a regular grading option) in a given semester at UNM–Valencia Campus;
3. A semester Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 is required; and
4. No grade lower than a ‘C’ (not ‘C-’) is acceptable.
5. Students with a grade of ‘NC’ and/or ‘I’ will not be eligible for the Director’s List.
    Graduation/Graduation With Honors
1. Petition to Graduate: Students are expected to monitor their individual progress towards graduation. Students who have formally declared a program of study with the Registrar may monitor their academic progress on-line at http://itel.unm.edu.
However, students are urged to meet regularly with advisors in order to assure appropriate course and course-load selection leading to a timely graduation. Students must petition to graduate by completing a Petition to Graduate Form the semester before they are planning to graduate. A late fee of $10 will be assessed for those petitioning after the published deadline.
2. Second Associate Degrees: A second associate degree is not granted until a student has earned a minimum of 15 semester hours above the requirements for the first degree and fulfilled all requirements for the second degree including residence requirements.
3. Graduation with Honors: Students completing an associate degree with a minimum 3.5 GPA, for coursework within the degree requirements, will graduate with Honors. The student(s) with the top GPA are honored and named Valedictorian(s) at the spring graduation ceremony.
The office of the Registrar certifies eligibility to participate in commencement exercises for those students planning to receive associate degrees and certificates.
The Valencia Campus holds commencement exercises in May. Eligible candidates who completed their academic program during the previous summer, fall and spring semesters are invited to participate in the commencement ceremony.
All official student records and transcripts are kept in the Office of Admissions and Records at the University of New Mexico– Albuquerque Campus. Transcript Request Forms may be obtained from the UNM–Valencia Campus Student Services Center.
A $3 fee is charged for official transcripts of record requested by the student to be sent to other collegiate institutions, state departments of education, current employers, or prospective employers. Unofficial transcripts may be requested from UNM– Valencia at no charge. No transcripts of record are issued until all financial obligations to the University have been satisfied.
    Access to and Confidentiality of Records
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford students certain rights with respect to their education records.
They are:
1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the University receives a written request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights. Students may ask the University to amend a record by writing the University official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specifying why it
is inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights. If the University decides not to amend the Program Information record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right
to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official includes a person employed by the University; a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks; honorary societies, and other chartered student organizations, only for determining eligibility requirements when the societies and/or organizations do not unlawfully discriminate; and National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Mountain West Conference only for the purposes of conforming to eligibility rules for athletic competition. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education
record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. The University discloses education records without a student’s consent to officials of another school who have requested the records and in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
4. The right to refuse to permit the designation of the following categories of personally identifiable information as directory information which is public information not subject to the above restrictions on disclosure:
a. Name;
b. Address (school and permanent);
c. Telephone listing;
d. Electronic mail address;
e. Date of birth;
f. Major field of study (including current classification, year, credit load and number of academic credits earned towards degree);
g. Dates of attendance (matriculation and withdrawal dates); h. Degrees and awards received (type of degree and date granted);
i. Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended; and
j. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams.
NOTE: A student wanting to keep confidential the directory information listed above should file a written request with the Registrar’s Office.
5. All students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-4605