Cultural-historical theory, cognitive psychology, creative collaboration,
cross-cultural education, bilingualism, psychology of women, psycholinguistics.
- Professor, University of New Mexico, Linguistics, and Education:
Language, Literacy and Sociocultural Studies, 1974 to Present.
- Visiting Professor, CUNY Graduate School, Department of Psychology,
- Visiting Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of
Psychology, Summer 1988.
- Visiting Professor, University of California at Berkeley, Department
of Psychology, Spring 1988.
- Director, University of New Mexico Santa Fe Graduate Center, 1980
- Program Chair, Yeshiva University, Language and Behavior Program
in Department of Educational Psychology, Ferkauf Graduate School, 1966-1972.
- Consultant, Santa Fe Children's Museum, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1993.
- Faculty Research Scholar, University of New Mexico, Spring, 1992.
- Consultant, Children's Museum of Indianapolis, 1991-Present.
- Consultant, ERIC Center in Urban Studies, Teacher's College, Columbia
- Consultant, U.S. Office on preschool programs and training programs
for teachers of the disadvantaged, participant in Project Literacy,
U.S. Office of Education, 1965-1968.
- Consultant, Senior Research Associate, New York Medical College,
Institute for Developmental Studies, 1962-1968.
- Part-time Senior Research Associate, New York Medical College, Institute
for Developmental Studies, 1959-1962.
- Research Consultant, New York State Department of Mental Hygiene,
Biometrics Unit, 1959-1960.
REVIEWER FOR GRANT APPLICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL JOURNALS
- Member, Editorial Board, Mind, Culture and Activity, 1995-present.
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Narrative and Life History, 1993-present.
- Member, Editorial Board, Linguistics and Education, 1993-present.
- Member of American Psychological Association, Linguistics Society
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Science Foundation
- National Institute of Education
- Oxford University Press, 2000
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences
- Journal of Applied Linguistics
- Mind, Culture and Activity
- Contemporary Psychology
- Cognitive Development
- National Science Foundation (with Professors M. Minnis and R. Weber),
"Complex Collaborations," 1995-1996.
- University of New Mexico, College of Education RAC grant for "Shared
and Contrasting Perceptions of Collaboration by Dyads and Small Groups,"
- University of New Mexico, College of Education OFAC grant for "Collaborative
Cognition: A Study of Patterns and Practices," 1994.