|Six Step EKG Prep by Jason Siegler, Ph.D.
Step1: Patient Awareness
* Patient Education: What is a 12-Lead EKG?
* Patient Rights: permission to touch patient, place and remove electrodes
* Technician's Rights and Responsibilities: accurate preparation of client for EKG analyses
Step 2: Lead Prep
* Locate anatomical landmarks for both Limb and Precordial Leads.
* Shave patient in these locations if patient has excess hair.
* Sand paper gently to remove excess or dead skin.
* Use alcohol swabs to clean sites, allow for time to air dry.
Step 3: Lead Placement
*Relocate anatomical landmarks for both Limb and Precordial Leads.
Locate each site prior to lead placement!
*Six Limb Leads:
Limb leads (I, II, III, AVR, AVL, AVF) and Ground
V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V6
Step 4: Attach Wires
Step 5: Seat Patient
Resting data: allow for 3-5 minutes of rest before running a 12-lead strip.
Step 6: Record Rest Data