Graduate Scholarships

The School of Engineering (SOE) has available a few scholarships every year for SOE graduate students. These SOE scholarships could help supplement graduate level fellowships or assistantships (e.g. Reseach/Teaching/Project Assistantships), however, please note that these scholarships are not intended to pay for graduate school.

Although there are some merit-based scholarships available, the majority of scholarships are need-based; therefore, we highly recommend all students to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You could submit a FAFSA online at: UNM's federal aid school code is 002663.

Graduate Student Success Scholarship

The Success Scholarships are need-based scholarships that provide financial support to domestic and permanent-resident graduate students currently enrolled in a terminal masters or doctoral program. (Note: International, non-degree and students in the following professional programs are not eligible for this award: M.D., J.D., Pharm D., D.P.T, and D.N.P.)

Postmark Deadline: October 31

Graduate Student Success Scholarship

(*) Graduate students are encouraged to contact directly the UNM Office of Graduate Studies or the respective academic departments to inquire about available graduate assistantships. Most research assistantships (RA), teaching assistantships (TA), or project assistantships (PA) help graduate students cover the cost of tuition and fees, and in many cases, may provide additional monthly stipends to help cover the cost of room and board and other general expenses.


Students will be considered for SOE departmental scholarships by submitting the standard SOE scholarship application due June 1st every year. Note: Certain departments may require students to be admitted to the UNM School of Engineering department or program and meet all of the scholarship requirements before being considered for a department-specific scholarship.


For information about scholarships and other funding sources, please contact Elsa Castillo, Scholarships Program Manager, at (505) 277-5064 or, or visit the Engineering Student Services Office located in the Centennial Engineering Center, Room 2080.